[SOLVED] Which one of these is the best PSU?

hotfusion

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2016
Hi,
There have been some cheap 80 plus Bronze PSU's popping up on Amazon lately. 3 of them I have seen are from an unknown or non-popular brand, but Antec has also joined the party. Antec's new PSU called Antec Atom B550 is a 500 watt PSU with an 80 Plus Bronze rating, looking at the specs alone, it seems much worse than the VP500P v2 they used to sell before, which doesn't even have an 80 Plus rating.

So, I am wondering, does the 80 Plus rating doesn't necessarily mean they are better than the ones which doesn't even have any rating, or the ones with good rating should still be preferred despite the spec sheet? I am confused. Pics below for reference (which is the best one?). Thanks for your time.

Antec VP500P V2 (No 80 Plus rating)

gaEjJPS.png

Antec Atom B550 (80 Plus Bronze)

Oh71aya.jpg

Ant Esports FP550B (80 Plus Bronze)

VGp6Qvu.png

Last edited:
Solution
It depends on the components that will be powered by the PSU.
From those two I would go with Antec, since I know the company and their products.
Antec VP and Atom series PSUs are usually geared towards low end system without dedicated GPU.

The Ant looks similar to the Antec unist but I do not know about the brad.
When I do not know about a PSU brand ...I don't thrust it.
It depends on the components that will be powered by the PSU.
From those two I would go with Antec, since I know the company and their products.
Antec VP and Atom series PSUs are usually geared towards low end system without dedicated GPU.

The Ant looks similar to the Antec unist but I do not know about the brad.
When I do not know about a PSU brand ...I don't thrust it.

Last edited:
Solution

hotfusion

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2016
Thanks for your answer, I should also have mentioned that both the new 80 plus bronze PSU's are also cheaper than the Antec VP (only around 40$ each). So they are better and cheaper too despite being 50 watts higher?

I am a fan of Antec because even their low end VP series have never failed me. A part of me feels like some companies are trying to take advantage of the 80 plus ratings by somehow putting them on a crappy PSU's to boost their sales, but being pretty ignorant on the technical side of things, I just wanted to clear my doubts here.

Windows22

Prominent
Dec 30, 2020
Thanks for your answer, I should also have mentioned that both the new 80 plus bronze PSU's are also cheaper than the Antec VP (only around 40$ each). So they are better and cheaper too despite being 50 watts higher?

I am a fan of Antec because even their low end VP series have never failed me. A part of me feels like some companies are trying to take advantage of the 80 plus ratings by somehow putting them on a crappy PSU's to boost their sales, but being pretty ignorant on the technical side of things, I just wanted to clear my doubts here.
I agree with you on there. The Antec EarthWatts Gold Pro has 550W and its power supply lasts for two years depending on care and routine.

I would not use any of those, but if I did, it would be a for a low end home office pc. If you plan on gaming with a GPU that requires more than PCIe slot power (75 watts), you need to increase your budget and get a proper model.

hotfusion

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2016
I would not use any of those, but if I did, it would be a for a low end home office pc. If you plan on gaming with a GPU that requires more than PCIe slot power (75 watts), you need to increase your budget and get a proper model.
Thanks, I am not really looking to buy a new PSU. As I have said, these new PSUs looks too good to be true as the prices are so cheap. Basically what I asked is, is the rating to be trusted.?

I am currently using my old VP650P v2 which has lasted me for more than 4 years now with both my 3570k and gtx 970 overclocked. Before this, it powered my FX 6300 and R9 280x and we have an unstable electricity here as well. So, I'd say they're just fine.