[SOLVED] Which one of these routers would you buy?

Sep 11, 2022
Hi,

Assuming the price are the same for all three of these routers below. Which one of them would you buy?

ASUS (RT-AC51U):

TP-Link:
- https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/dsl-modem-router/td-w8968/#specifications

- https://www.tp-link.com/se/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-c20i/#specifications

Solution
You are going to have to be a little more specific what you mean.

That router like many others with DSL will also run as a normal ethernet router you would hook to say a cable modem. If you already own it I guess you could use it that way. It is silly to purchase a DSL modem if you do not have DSL internet.

The word "extender" means lots of things. You can attach it via a ethernet cable and use it as a bridge/ap. Some people use the term extender to mean wifi repeater where it get a wifi signal from the main router and then re transmits it to the end device.

Without reading the manual it is hard to say if it has that feature. Not very likely because it almost 10 year old technology.
You can't compare the one with the DSL modem really you pay a lot extra for it to have the modem.

The other 2 routers internally use identical parts they likely perform about the same. Only you can decide if you like one companies firmware better than the other.

Sep 11, 2022
You can't compare the one with the DSL modem really you pay a lot extra for it to have the modem.

The other 2 routers internally use identical parts they likely perform about the same. Only you can decide if you like one companies firmware better than the other.

Thank you.
May I ask if the DSL Modem can be used as a WiFi extender instead of buying a modem subscription.

You are going to have to be a little more specific what you mean.

That router like many others with DSL will also run as a normal ethernet router you would hook to say a cable modem. If you already own it I guess you could use it that way. It is silly to purchase a DSL modem if you do not have DSL internet.

The word "extender" means lots of things. You can attach it via a ethernet cable and use it as a bridge/ap. Some people use the term extender to mean wifi repeater where it get a wifi signal from the main router and then re transmits it to the end device.

Without reading the manual it is hard to say if it has that feature. Not very likely because it almost 10 year old technology.

Reactions: Summer101
Solution