Question Which one of thesen two laptops is better?

dumbleburn

Reputable
Aug 19, 2017
1. Asus
  • Ryzen 5 3500U
  • GTX 1050 4GB
  • 8GB RAM
  • 4480 mAh battery (3 cells)
  • 1 TB HDD
  • Full HD screen
2. Dell
  • i5-1135G7
  • Intel Iris Xe integrated GPU
  • 2 x 4GB DDR4
  • 42 Wh
  • 256 GB SSD
  • 1366 x 768 screen
I'm buying a laptop for college that can run engineering softwares (like AutoCAD) and that I can also use to play some medium demand games. It should be good enough to last me about 4-5 years, and a battery that can last through classes. This two are aprox. the same price.

Lutfij

Titan
Got links to both laptops? I think you will need to factor in additional storage to store your work/files and that way you avoid formatting the SD, and loosing everything. No partitioning the SSD to have one portion for storage and the other for the OS is not a good idea. Perhaps you can include all the apps you're going to tax the laptop with? The GTX1050 equipped would definitely be a good laptop horsepower wise since you can perform renders but you seem to not have options to add an SSD to the laptop.

Where are you located and what is your preferred site for purchase? Budget for laptop?

Reactions: dumbleburn

dumbleburn

Reputable
Aug 19, 2017
Got links to both laptops? I think you will need to factor in additional storage to store your work/files and that way you avoid formatting the SD, and loosing everything. No partitioning the SSD to have one portion for storage and the other for the OS is not a good idea. Perhaps you can include all the apps you're going to tax the laptop with? The GTX1050 equipped would definitely be a good laptop horsepower wise since you can perform renders but you seem to not have options to add an SSD to the laptop.

Where are you located and what is your preferred site for purchase? Budget for laptop?
Sorry for taking long to reply, for some reason I didn't get notified on my email.
I'm from Brazil and both these laptops are on their brand sites. My budget is kind of hard to translate since I'm seeing the prices already converted + taxes, but I think it translates to 500-600ish dollars? I already have a HDD on my PC which I could mount on to the laptop with the SSD.

The links are:
  1. Asus: https://www.lojaasus.com.br/asus-notebook-m570dd-dm122t-preto-ag-1-4-1005751-1.html
  2. Dell: https://www.dell.com/pt-br/shop/not...5-3000/spd/inspiron-15-3501-laptop/i3501w123w
I'm not sure what apps I'll use, but I'm thinking AutoCAD is probably the max. level of demanding it'll get (other than the medium games I plan to run on them, like RL and CSGO).

EDIT: Apparently, the Asus one doesn't have an extra SSD slot, unlike the Dell which can support both HDD and SSD. It also has an on-board integrated GPU which takes 2GB of RAM at all times.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Please be warned that a 2.5" HDD will work with the laptop, not the larger one. Just an FYI in case you're going off the information that any HDD can be dropped into laptop. As for the laptop, you're going to be fine with either one. I think that there's an option to have both an SSD and an HDD in the laptops listed for Asus and Dell. Regardless, of which, you're good to go with either, just that if you don't do rendering and only AutoDesk's AutoCAD is your only app to tax the laptop then the discrete GPU isn't necessary.

dumbleburn

Reputable
Aug 19, 2017
Please be warned that a 2.5" HDD will work with the laptop, not the larger one. Just an FYI in case you're going off the information that any HDD can be dropped into laptop. As for the laptop, you're going to be fine with either one. I think that there's an option to have both an SSD and an HDD in the laptops listed for Asus and Dell. Regardless, of which, you're good to go with either, just that if you don't do rendering and only AutoDesk's AutoCAD is your only app to tax the laptop then the discrete GPU isn't necessary.
Thank you, how can I mark as best answer on the desktop website?
What I'm seeing