Which one should I format first? My HDD or the SSD?

Nuno Miguel Costa

Honorable
Dec 13, 2013
Not sure where to post this, so i'll just post it here and in the software section.

I am buying a new cpu and motherboard, so it is advised to format my pc. However, i have an SSD (windows is installed here) and an HDD. So which one should I do first? Should I format the HDD first and then secure erase the SSD? Or is it a way to fromat/secure erase both of them at the same time? The problem is that I have folders like the Index or Downloads which are by default, on the SSD, but i switched them to the HDD so it won't take up much space on the SSD. I am scared that if I format one of them first, I won't be able to access the Windows to format the other one.

Help please? Also, is there a FREE program like Parted Magic to secure erase the SSD? (parted magic isn't free anymore)

Solution
If you format both drives, you're going to lose your Windows install. Use the install disc or flash drive and reinstall windows, when you get to the options on where to install windows, delete the partitions on both drives and create new ones. This will reformat and erase your data.

P1nnacle

Distinguished
If you format both drives, you're going to lose your Windows install. Use the install disc or flash drive and reinstall windows, when you get to the options on where to install windows, delete the partitions on both drives and create new ones. This will reformat and erase your data.

Solution

Nuno Miguel Costa

Honorable
Dec 13, 2013

so i should do this AFTER i installed the new motherboard and cpu right? and therefore, i don't need to uninstall the current motherboard and cpu drivers right?

P1nnacle

Distinguished

Install it after you put the new board and CPU in, but you will have to Install your drivers, formatting is the same as deleting all your data.

P1nnacle

Distinguished

Delete, windows will format the drive when you install.

Nuno Miguel Costa

Honorable
Dec 13, 2013

won't that damage the ssd? Because i've read that ssd's shouldn't be formatted.

P1nnacle

Distinguished

No, you're thinking of defragmentation. Formatting is fine.