which one should i get? DDR3 or DDR4 motherboard

Gerald Ng

Reputable
Jun 16, 2014
I'm on a really tight budget and I can't really decide what to go for. DDR3 or DDR4.
I've asked my friends around and most of them told me DDR4 is so much better as it is faster, when i went to look it up its really pricey.
But is the gaming performance noticeable?
And the CPU. 4th gen i7 or 6th gen i5 (No need of overclock) I can't really decide.

Solution
You have two options here:

1) Go Haswell i7 + Socket 1150 motherboard + DDR3 RAM

2) Go Skylake i5 + 1151 motherboard + DDR4 RAM

You cannot mix and match the above.

There is a not a great deal of performance difference between a similarly price set up in either options (depending on CPU choice), but I would always advise going for the latest equipment.

This is because motherboards have one of the highest failure rates of all PC hardware, and it is MUCH harder to replace an older gen board than a current one. Plenty of people have been forced to upgrade their whole system because their mobo failed and they were unable to get a replacement.

HOWEVER.

Intel's new Kabylake CPUs are set to launch pretty soon, so I would wait and see...

Gallarian

Distinguished
You have two options here:

1) Go Haswell i7 + Socket 1150 motherboard + DDR3 RAM

2) Go Skylake i5 + 1151 motherboard + DDR4 RAM

You cannot mix and match the above.

There is a not a great deal of performance difference between a similarly price set up in either options (depending on CPU choice), but I would always advise going for the latest equipment.

This is because motherboards have one of the highest failure rates of all PC hardware, and it is MUCH harder to replace an older gen board than a current one. Plenty of people have been forced to upgrade their whole system because their mobo failed and they were unable to get a replacement.

HOWEVER.

Intel's new Kabylake CPUs are set to launch pretty soon, so I would wait and see what happens to the market when they do before you buy anything.

Solution