[SOLVED] Which one should i upgrade first?

Aug 13, 2019
Hello

I have a budget around 500 could go around 650 aswell but would like to save some money for cpu ryzen 5 3600.
Cpu= ryzen 3 1300x
gpu= gtx 1060 6gb
240 gb ssd
asrock b450m-hdv motherboard
ballistix 16gb ram
and a 500w corsair power supply.
Thanks for the help

Im wondering which graphics card to get. Im looking for a card capable of running 144hz consistantly.

Or should i upgrade something else that i have missed?

(hella noob question)

Last edited:
Solution
I'd recommend an RX 5700 XT as the first upgrade. However, once you do this, I'd imagine the CPU would struggle to run at 144 FPS in many of the new games. When getting this graphics card, I think you should wait for the custom cooled versions to come out in your area. These are cooler and quieter than the current blower style ones.

After this upgrade, it would definitely be important to upgrade the CPU to make sure it can keep up with the 144 FPS target. The 3600 you say in your question is a great choice. Before putting it into your system, make sure you have updated the BIOS to enable Ryzen 3000. You can find the update at https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450M-HDV/index.asp#BIOS. make sure you follow the instructions carefully...
Aug 18, 2019
Try this one I manually looked for this.

MOBO: ASUS ROG Strix B450-F ATX AMD AM4+ Ryzen 2 - $120 Amazon
CPU: R5 2600x with Wraith Spire Cooler - $149 Amazon
GPU: GTX 1650 EVGA XC - $140 Amazon
2nd Option RX 590 XFX OC Fatboy- $210 Amazon
3rd Option RX580 8GB XFX - $190 Amazon
RAM Kit: HyperX Predator Black 16gb 3200MHz DDR4 CL16 - $102 Amazon

371 EURO excluding the GPU

Currently at work so I cannot access some website since it is prohibited :D

However you can I think you can get better deals out of your 500 EURO good think with the B450 is you can update BIOS to support 3rd Gen Ryzen CPU's at least has better VRM as well the Ryzen 2600x will do you enough for couple of years, it can do a lot for you gaming, productivity and streaming if your into it. and when the time comes you can just upgrade your CPU if you have enough budget for 3rd gen Ryzen.

For me X570 is good upgrade but for the Budget and Price wise I think its not good, the features are not yet impacting so 3XX and 4XX MOBO are still decent however if money is not an issue then go why limit yourself right? :D cheers...

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019
Im looking for an high upgrade so i can gradually upgrade my pc to really high standards. What you have put here is a whole system but im looking to upgrade my already existing pc.

Aug 18, 2019
Sorry about that, your looking for a graphics card go for Radeon 5700xt its around 440 it has a TDP of 225 watts and the performance are around RTX 2070 S and RTX 2080.

Choose the RED DEVIL Power Color it has best reviews so far.

Last edited:
I'd recommend an RX 5700 XT as the first upgrade. However, once you do this, I'd imagine the CPU would struggle to run at 144 FPS in many of the new games. When getting this graphics card, I think you should wait for the custom cooled versions to come out in your area. These are cooler and quieter than the current blower style ones.

After this upgrade, it would definitely be important to upgrade the CPU to make sure it can keep up with the 144 FPS target. The 3600 you say in your question is a great choice. Before putting it into your system, make sure you have updated the BIOS to enable Ryzen 3000. You can find the update at https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450M-HDV/index.asp#BIOS. make sure you follow the instructions carefully to avoid any issues during the updating process.

Solution
What exact PSU model do you have? "CX 500" has many different versions, but only the lastest version is good enough for my liking. Make sure you have the latest version, or I would strongly consider upgrading it first.

With that being said I'll go this way.

Update your BIOS -> Ryzen 7 3700X or at least Ryzen 5 3600 -> RX 5700 / XT - > ADATA NVMe SSD (if you haven't already).

Aug 13, 2019
What exact PSU model do you have? "CX 500" has many different versions, but only the lastest version is good enough for my liking. Make sure you have the latest version, or I would strongly consider upgrading it first.

With that being said I'll go this way.

Update your BIOS -> Ryzen 7 3700X or at least Ryzen 5 3600 -> RX 5700 / XT - > ADATA NVMe SSD (if you haven't already).
CORSAIR ATX 2.4 CX550M 550W CP-9020102-EU

Aug 13, 2019
I think ill go with the rx 5700 and about the cpu i think ill go for the ryzen 5 3600 because the ryzen 7 3700 is out of my budget. And when i can ill upgrade my ram. I think that is the best way to go.

Aug 13, 2019

After this upgrade, it would definitely be important to upgrade the CPU to make sure it can keep up with the 144 FPS target. The 3600 you say in your question is a great choice. Before putting it into your system, make sure you have updated the BIOS to enable Ryzen 3000. You can find the update at https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450M-HDV/index.asp#BIOS. make sure you follow the instructions carefully to avoid any issues during the updating process.
The rx 5700 has a psu reccomendation of 600w but i only have 550w

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Cpu sets the fps limits.
Gpu lives upto the limit of the cpu or not.
You can get the gpu first, but you won't see much, if any, fps differences as it's that 1300x that won't go 144fps on much of anything.

So upgrade cpu first. Ram second. AMD infinity fabric (speed at which its cores communicate) is based on the ram speeds. So what that'll pdo is maximize the fps capable going to the gpu.

If the gpu can do it, at the detail settings that you want, you may not even need to upgrade that.

But first you gotta get the fps.

Aug 13, 2019
Cpu sets the fps limits.
Gpu lives upto the limit of the cpu or not.
You can get the gpu first, but you won't see much, if any, fps differences as it's that 1300x that won't go 144fps on much of anything.

So upgrade cpu first. Ram second. AMD infinity fabric (speed at which its cores communicate) is based on the ram speeds. So what that'll pdo is maximize the fps capable going to the gpu.

If the gpu can do it, at the detail settings that you want, you may not even need to upgrade that.

What sort of ram are u suggesting?
KINGSTON HYPERX PREDATOR 16GB 4000MHZ CL19 DDR4 KIT OF 2 HX440C19PB3K2/16

something like that? and go for two of those?

Last edited:
I honestly don't think that the RAM should be prioritized as long as you are going to go with Ryzen 3000. It also depends on what you have already. Ryzen 3000 scales much better than older Ryzens. I'd say there's very little purpose upgrading from a 3000 MHz RAM. For 2666 MHz and below, it might be worth it to upgrade to 3200 MHz, but it depends on what you are going to do and what GPU you are planning to use.

A system with a Ryzen 5 3600 and an RX 5700 typically consumes around 300W. AMD likely wrote that "600W" to take account of bad power supplies that can only deliver wattages much lower than their marketed wattage. Your PSU is not one of them.

Aug 13, 2019
I
I honestly don't think that the RAM should be prioritized as long as you are going to go with Ryzen 3000. It also depends on what you have already. Ryzen 3000 scales much better than older Ryzens. I'd say there's very little purpose upgrading from a 3000 MHz RAM. For 2666 MHz and below, it might be worth it to upgrade to 3200 MHz, but it depends on what you are going to do and what GPU you are planning to use.

A system with a Ryzen 5 3600 and an RX 5700 typically consumes around 300W. AMD likely wrote that "600W" to take account of bad power supplies that can only deliver wattages much lower than their marketed wattage. Your PSU is not one of them.
I have lower than 3000mhz thats why im upgrading it. Im using a 1060 6gb gpu. Im going to play r6 at 144hz and others game at that. Ill update the gpu when i get some more money to a rx 5700.