Question Which one to pick between 4060 ti and 3060 ti

guddu94

Commendable
Dec 30, 2020
Hi,
I am currently using GT 1030 (unfortunately), now I want to upgrade my graphic card. A month ago I was planning for buying a RTX 3060 ti then I noticed that RTX 4060 ti launching soon so I waited hoping for a decent performance upgrade but Nvidia launched a disappointment. Currently, the RTX 4060 ti delivering a few fps higher or little more higher than RTX 3060 ti while drawing less power than 3060 ti. Also, in some benchmarking videos I did noticed that the 4060 ti unable to render in-game texture like in Hogwarts legacy at maxed out settings so its my concern that is it a good pick for atleast 3 years or more. I dont want to face any software issues like in AMD or in Intel so I guess Nvidia is a sweet spot for me but they are playing dirty. Here in India RTX 4060 ti MSRP around 465 $ lil more or less and RTX 3060 ti MSRP 455 $ lil more or less.
My current spec- Processor: Ryzen 5 3600, RAM: 24gb 3200mhz ram (16+8), Motherboard: MSI B550 Gaming Edge wifi, GPU: GT 1030 (GDDR4), Storage: WD SN550 1tb.

Solution
I am not saying Ryzen 5 3600 is bad its still doing good but I am just confused between 4060 ti and 3060 ti and as more and more ppls are suggesting to get a 6700 xt or get 6750 xt is better choice over Nvidias disaster launch. So for now I think I better go with AMD. Scary situation I dont know AMDs current driver situation.
I concur with what the poster above said. I don’t really have issues with AMD drivers. I think in the last couple of years they’ve come a long way. I have a friend who recently went from an rtx 3090 to a 7900xtx and he’s been happy as a lark with the card. He kind of mentioned how it took him a bit to find everything in the drivers but I think he liked for example how you can control fan curves etc in...
I think the 3600 is going to be unable to feed data to the GPU fast enough at higher quality even if you do get a much faster GPU. The 4060 does have some newer features in the hardware and drivers, such that it won't be obsolete as soon as the 3060, but I personally don't think you'll notice that much. Going from a 1030 to even a 2060 would be an enormous increase in performance (if the CPU can feed the GPU). Some of the 4060s seem to be going on sale, but so are the 3060s. I'd personally try to find a good deal on a 4060, but if it is not found, then I wouldn't feel bad about instead getting a 3060. Incidentally, some 3070s are also on sale (I don't know about prices where you live, but with Internet sales perhaps that isn't a problem).

Reactions: guddu94

guddu94

Commendable
Dec 30, 2020
I think the 3600 is going to be unable to feed data to the GPU fast enough at higher quality even if you do get a much faster GPU. The 4060 does have some newer features in the hardware and drivers, such that it won't be obsolete as soon as the 3060, but I personally don't think you'll notice that much. Going from a 1030 to even a 2060 would be an enormous increase in performance (if the CPU can feed the GPU). Some of the 4060s seem to be going on sale, but so are the 3060s. I'd personally try to find a good deal on a 4060, but if it is not found, then I wouldn't feel bad about instead getting a 3060. Incidentally, some 3070s are also on sale (I don't know about prices where you live, but with Internet sales perhaps that isn't a problem).
Yeah lately I saw some 3070s are nearly 4060s price here. I know from 1030 to 2060 is a big uplift but for next gen games I really dont want to buy a 20 series card while 30 series are getting older. after GPU upgradation I am planning to buy a Ryzen 5 5600x or 5600 non-x so I am looking for either 40 or 30 series. I think if luckily I can grab a great deal on 3070 then I should go for 3070 rather than buying 4060 (maybe).

guddu94

Commendable
Dec 30, 2020
And paying $10 more for that is easily worth it. It's really a no-brainer if you ask me.
My only concern is...4060 ti comes with 8gb GDDR6 128 bit memory interface and on the other hand its predecessor 3060 ti comes with 8gb GDDR6X 256 bit memory interface and also in 4060 ti has lesser CUDA cores than 3060 ti. I hope I wont face any issues on the long run cause I really dont want to make mistake and waste my money.

My only concern is...4060 ti comes with 8gb GDDR6 128 bit memory interface and on the other hand its predecessor 3060 ti comes with 8gb GDDR6X 256 bit memory interface and also in 4060 ti has lesser CUDA cores than 3060 ti. I hope I wont face any issues on the long run cause I really dont want to make mistake and waste my money.
Well, every review that I've seen says that the RTX 4060 Ti is barely better than the RTX 3060 Ti, but it is better, regardless of the VRAM bandwidth.

DRagor makes a good point about the fact that you will end up regretting buying either the RTX 3060 Ti or RTX 4060 Ti. I believe that you would be better off in the long run with an RX 6700 XT because it has 12GB of VRAM. I found one on FlipKart for ₹38,999 which is about $472USD, only $7 more than you were going to pay for the RTX 4060 Ti. I believe that its 8GB of VRAM will cause any decision you make to get it (or the RTX 3060 Ti for that matter) to haunt you in the long-term while the RX 6700 XT will make you happy as you see other people having VRAM overflow problems while your card continues to work perfectly.

Ryzen 5 3600 isn’t as bad as you think. I’ve got a ryzen 5 5500 in a pc with a 6700xt. Works great. My understanding is the 5500 isn’t much faster than the 3600. Don’t get me wrong, get a faster cpu when you have the money but get the gpu first. I’d recommend the 6700xt, 6750xt(basically an overclocked 6700xt), or pick up a 6800 or 6800xt. The 3060ti and 4060ti aren’t bad cards per se, but in my opinion 8gb is really pushing too close.

guddu94

Commendable
Dec 30, 2020
I am not saying Ryzen 5 3600 is bad its still doing good but I am just confused between 4060 ti and 3060 ti and as more and more ppls are suggesting to get a 6700 xt or get 6750 xt is better choice over Nvidias disaster launch. So for now I think I better go with AMD. Scary situation I dont know AMDs current driver situation.

Reactions: Avro Arrow

IDProG

Distinguished
AMD's driver is fine. No need to worry about it.

Though, you should expect weaker Ray Tracing performance with AMD cards compared to Nvidia cards of the same raster performance. If you really value Ray Tracing, then AMD cards are not for you and you should buy the 3060 12GB instead.

If you don't really, the 6700 XT is a great card. It will age better than the 3060 Ti/4060 Ti simply because it has more VRAM.

I concur with what the poster above said. I don’t really have issues with AMD drivers. I think in the last couple of years they’ve come a long way. I have a friend who recently went from an rtx 3090 to a 7900xtx and he’s been happy as a lark with the card. He kind of mentioned how it took him a bit to find everything in the drivers but I think he liked for example how you can control fan curves etc in one app without going to multiple areas or needing other apps.

As the poster above points out, ray tracing performance will be better on the nvidia cards. So you need to decide how much that’s worth to you. However at these classes of cards, how much ray tracing will you be able to do and for how long might be valid questions.

For myself personally, I already had the 6700xt. When I started seeing reviews that essentially show it trading blows with the 4060ti, I don’t feel a need to hurry out and upgrade. A faster gpu of course would be a fun toy, but this card does what I want and performs pretty well, can apparently run with newer mid range cards in raw performance still, and is relatively cheap plus you get that 4 extra gb of vram. Totally up to you what route you want to go. Any of the 3 cards is going to be a good improvement from your current gpu. If you keep your gpus for a long time and don’t care as much about ray tracing, I think the amd card will be faster for longer just due to the extra vram and architecture of the card.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
NO complaints about AMD drivers here - 7900xt

I think the 3600 is going to be unable to feed data to the GPU fast enough at higher quality even if you do get a much faster GPU.
running a 3600xt here, I haven't noticed. Do plan on a 5800x3d at some stage this year though.

only difference between 3060ti & 4060ti are features. If you want DLSS and AV1, get new one... though VRAM will be a problem going forward.

Well, I can tell you the Radeon driver situation, they're fine. I have extensive experience with Catalyst, Crimson and Adrenalin drivers because here are the cards that I've owned since 2008:

(2x)XFX HD 4870
(1x)Dell HD 5870
(1x)XFX HD 5450
(1x)XFX HD 6450
(2x)Gigabyte HD 7970
(2x)Sapphire R9 Fury
(1x)XFX RX 5700 XT
(1x)ATi RX 6800 XT
(1x)Powercolor RX 6500 XT

I actually just bought the RX 6500 XT for my mother's HTPC yesterday. It just proves that there's no such thing as a bad product, just a bad price. I got it brand-new for about $117USD so I just couldn't say no. I just wanted a card for my mother's HTPC that could do 2D video at 4K60Hz natively. She was using one of my R9 Furies with a DP adapter but what's the point of running a card with a TDP of 275W just to watch movies and TV?

The only driver problem that I have ever noticed over the years was a bit of a scaling bug during my R9 Fury era. All I had to do to fix it was toggle GPU scaling in the Radeon control panel. A bit of an annoyance but nothing that had any impact on my gaming enjoyment. If Radeon drivers were even ¼ as bad as some people say, there's no way that I would still be buying and/or recommending them to people. I buy them and recommend them because I have honestly enjoyed using them. I believe that they're a fantastic buy and a fantastic value.

I often hear people say "but nVidia has the fastest card in the world!" and they're right, the fastest card in the world is a GeForce card. What these fools don't understand is that the fastest card in the world is completely irrelevant to you if you're not buying it. The only card that's relevant to you is the best one that you can get at your budget level.

For example, the RTX 3050 costs 28% more than the RX 6600 while the RX 6600 is 29% faster than the RTX 3050. The performance of the RTX 3090/4090 does nothing to change that so people's obsession with "the performance crown" strikes me as completely insane.

guddu94

Commendable
Dec 30, 2020
Well, I can tell you the Radeon driver situation, they're fine. I have extensive experience with Catalyst, Crimson and Adrenalin drivers because here are the cards that I've owned since 2008:

(2x)XFX HD 4870
(1x)Dell HD 5870
(1x)XFX HD 5450
(1x)XFX HD 6450
(2x)Gigabyte HD 7970
(2x)Sapphire R9 Fury
(1x)XFX RX 5700 XT
(1x)ATi RX 6800 XT
(1x)Powercolor RX 6500 XT

I actually just bought the RX 6500 XT for my mother's HTPC yesterday. It just proves that there's no such thing as a bad product, just a bad price. I got it brand-new for about $117USD so I just couldn't say no. I just wanted a card for my mother's HTPC that could do 2D video at 4K60Hz natively. She was using one of my R9 Furies with a DP adapter but what's the point of running a card with a TDP of 275W just to watch movies and TV?

The only driver problem that I have ever noticed over the years was a bit of a scaling bug during my R9 Fury era. All I had to do to fix it was toggle GPU scaling in the Radeon control panel. A bit of an annoyance but nothing that had any impact on my gaming enjoyment. If Radeon drivers were even ¼ as bad as some people say, there's no way that I would still be buying and/or recommending them to people. I buy them and recommend them because I have honestly enjoyed using them. I believe that they're a fantastic buy and a fantastic value.

I often hear people say "but nVidia has the fastest card in the world!" and they're right, the fastest card in the world is a GeForce card. What these fools don't understand is that the fastest card in the world is completely irrelevant to you if you're not buying it. The only card that's relevant to you is the best one that you can get at your budget level.

For example, the RTX 3050 costs 28% more than the RX 6600 while the RX 6600 is 29% faster than the RTX 3050. The performance of the RTX 3090/4090 does nothing to change that so people's obsession with "the performance crown" strikes me as completely insane.
True I completely agree with you the fastest card is from Geforce but not everyone can buy that flagship card.
My friend previously using R9 270x he enjoyed a good 5 years of service, he faced some driver issues. Recently he bought RX 6500xt everything was ok but recently he tried to play Watch Dogs 2 and it was totally unplayable high settings or low settings doesnt matter which wasnt the issue previously before driver update. Thats why I asked the driver situation.

Reactions: Avro Arrow

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
True I completely agree with you the fastest card is from Geforce but not everyone can buy that flagship card.
My friend previously using R9 270x he enjoyed a good 5 years of service, he faced some driver issues. Recently he bought RX 6500xt everything was ok but recently he tried to play Watch Dogs 2 and it was totally unplayable high settings or low settings doesnt matter which wasnt the issue previously before driver update. Thats why I asked the driver situation.
I don't see it.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWYe4t3rwqU

Well, the RX 6500 XT is a very weak card (compared to most cards on the market today) and is hamstrung by the fact that its interface is PCI-Express v4.0 x4. If your friend has a motherboard that's older than the X570, the card's bandwidth will be cut in half because it will be forced to run at PCI-Express 3.0 x4.

My mother's HTPC is even worse because she's using my old FX-8350 on my old 990FX motherboard. It was fantastic in its time but it's only PCI-Express v2.0 and so the card will be choked to death. Fortunately, it's not going to be used for 3D gaming, just 2D video. I only bought it because I couldn't even find a used card for that cheap. There's no way that I'd have high expectations for that card because it's essentially a mobile GPU stuck on a desktop card. It doesn't even have a hardware-based video encoder! :giggle:

As for the drivers, they're fine. I would say that 90% of the time, the "driver issues" are ID10.T errors caused by users who don't really know what they're doing.

As long as you run DDU before you install or update the drivers, you should have absolutely no problems whatsoever. I think that a lot of the problems were caused by remnant nVidia drivers that remained because the user didn't run DDU to properly get rid of it all.