Which one to upgrade - CPU or GPU?

mrscum69

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016
Hi Guys, many thanks for taking the time to read this, im after some advise on what to upgrade to get better performance:

I currently have an i5 2500k and a msi 7970, and im about to buy either a 3770k or a 1070 gpu (cant really stretch to the 1080).

I have also just bought a Corsair H80i as im not currently over clocking the 2500k.

Any advice please on which would be the better option would be gratefully received!

My mobo is a MSI z77a-GD65 with 16gb ram & ocz 650w psu

Solution
Well Windows 10 is the only Windows that supports Directx 12, although from a quick search it does seem like that The GTX 1070 performs better with Directx 11 on those games that support Directx 12. However, I'm not much into the software side, so I recommend making a thread other there, to get the best help.
If you decide to upgrade though, I suggest to turning off all of the settings that ruin your privacy, you can use 'DisableWinTracking' for that, you can download it for free from github. I would also strongly recommend using the policies to stop Windows 10 from automatically restarting and forcing updates on to you, it can be really annoying when it restarts while you're playing a game etc...

TheGhostTrollek

Commendable
Sep 12, 2016
I would certainly go with the GPU. The I5 2500K at stock speed might have an impact on your FPS, however if you do find that the CPU is having a big impact on your FPS, just overclock it and everything should be fine.

TheGhostTrollek

Commendable
Sep 12, 2016
Well Windows 10 is the only Windows that supports Directx 12, although from a quick search it does seem like that The GTX 1070 performs better with Directx 11 on those games that support Directx 12. However, I'm not much into the software side, so I recommend making a thread other there, to get the best help.
If you decide to upgrade though, I suggest to turning off all of the settings that ruin your privacy, you can use 'DisableWinTracking' for that, you can download it for free from github. I would also strongly recommend using the policies to stop Windows 10 from automatically restarting and forcing updates on to you, it can be really annoying when it restarts while you're playing a game etc...

Solution