Which one? Which one?!

G

Until just recently, I've been convinced that the GeForce2 GTS DDR was the best 3D card available, but is it really so? I've seen several posts and benchmark results where other cards beat the GF2. Is it the best or should I consider other cards?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Of the GeForce's, the GeForce 3 is now the best, the Ultra a close second (although that gap will increase in the near future).

The Radeon is the most versatile card on the market, although with less raw power (I won't comment on picture quality, because I have no first-hand experience with that).

Those are the two main options. There are other good chips out there (like the Kyro II), but those are the two giants.

------------------------------
My Athlon can beat your Ferrari off the line.

G

Well the GeForce3 is too damn expensive for me. I'll probably stick with GF2 for a while.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yeah, that's what most people say. Get an Ultra, Pro, or GTS (in that order). They're all good cards.

------------------------------
My Athlon can beat your Ferrari off the line.

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
If Money and options are something for you to think about, Try the Radeon. I have the AIW and it works great with such games as Test Drive 6, Age of Empires II, the Conquerurs and does a great Job with DVD Playback, TV viewing, and all of my Office activities. And can be found at a much cheaper price than the Ultra or GTS

If it works for you then don't fix it.

koolman_

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
arsend is right Ati is the most verstile card around and it also has a lot of directx 8 features too so it is quite furure proof as for the raw power its not much of a problem as many will go for the better image quality option.

"Giving Up is the step towards failure"

G

The Radeon meets or beats the GTS in DX8 according to 3DMark2001, but is slower in DX7 ala 3DMark2k. So for old games go GTS, if you plan on playing newer games get a Radeon.

I AM Canadian.

nexus_alpha

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2001
Note the newer radeons have 200mhz core copuled with 5.5ns ddr ram. This gives significant performance results.I have seen benchmarks that show the 64 mb version beating the geforce2 ultra 64mb version.HOWEVER please note it did so when running in 32bit mode and at resolutions higher than 1024*768.Also the radeon 2 is to be released soon and it looks to be a geforce 3 killer (no exaggeration) and get this the card supports certain aspects of directx 8.1 that the geoforce 3 doesn't and yes the radeon is a programmmable gpu just like the geforce 3 and most likely comes with pixel and vertex shaders with 250 mhz core ddr memory running at the same speed. The best part and still the hardest to believe is that this card may sell for $300 when it comes out. CAN WE ALL SAY GEFORCE 3 KILLER!!!!!

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
5ns ram not 5.5ns ram. The newer Radeon 64 Retail was upgraded quietly by ATI to 200/200 core/mem. These are SE cores that overclock to 250 plus.