Question Which one will give me more upgrade options?

Jaco147

Prominent
Oct 18, 2019
Hi all,

I'm looking into buying a bundle from a local supplier that includes a motherboard, ram and cpu. This specific bundle is AMD focused(Ryzen 5 1600) paired with a B450 motherboard. There are two options of motherboards to choose from however.

MSI B450-M PRO-M2 MAX
Asus Prime B450M-K

Which one will give me more upgrade options in the future? RAM and CPU?

If it is worth mentioning; I'll only be looking to upgrade the CPU and RAM in 1-2 years time, but would like to have a solid foundation.

In this case, both provide the same upgrade path. There is no difference.

However, the MSI MAX, supports Ryzen 3xxx series out of the box (new BIOS). The Asus doesn't. You may need to update the bios on the Asus on before buying a new CPU down the line, this easy to do, and takes all of about 5 minutes. But in terms of which has the better upgrade path. They are both the same.

Jaco147

Prominent
Oct 18, 2019
In this case, both provide the same upgrade path. There is no difference.

However, the MSI MAX, supports Ryzen 3xxx series out of the box (new BIOS). The Asus doesn't. You may need to update the bios on the Asus on before buying a new CPU down the line, this easy to do, and takes all of about 5 minutes. But in terms of which has the better upgrade path. They are both the same.
You're talking about Ryzen's 3rd gen cpus? If so then that's basically all I need to know. If I can upgrade my pc within 2 years from now with 3rd gen cpus then I should be good to go?