[SOLVED] Which one?

MatteoCaporale

Commendable
Mar 11, 2020
Hi everybody, I have a question for you, I'd like to upgrade my PC, now I have an MSI h270m bazooka that soon will be upgraded with the MSI b450 tomahawk max, an Intel i5-7600 that will be soon upgraded (with the MOBO) to a Ryzen 5 3600, I have a Thermaltake Water 3.0 Performer C and I'd like to change it with an ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240, I have a Thermaltake Smart SE 550W that will be upgraded to the Seasonic Focus GX-750W 80+ Gold and finally I have a 3 years old GTX 1060 6gb amp edition that I'd like to replace with the RTX 2070 SUPER or the Radeon RX 5700 XT.
Now with that said, after have changed the PSU can I already buy the RTX 2070 SUPER or the RX 5700 XT? or before that I have to change the MOBO and the CPU because it will bottleneck? or for some other reason? and by now what do you suggest to me the RTX 2070 SUPER or the RX 5700 XT (I'm European (Italian) so both will cost more than in America for example, but by now do you think that the Ray Tracing worth 120-150 euro more than the RX 5700 XT ?
Thank you.

Solution
There is no reason you can't upgrade the graphics card before you upgrade the platform. The majority of games are mainly GPU dependent anyhow, so in those types of games CPU performance isn't nearly as important but for games that are CPU dependent your FPS and general CPU related performance will likely still be an issue, however, no matter what you will likely see some kind of benefit anyhow by upgrading the PSU and graphics card. Whether there is a bottleneck or not is really unimportant. It will get better with a better graphics card and then it will get better again with a newer, higher performance platform.

It wouldn't make any sense to upgrade the platform while keeping the older graphics card anyhow, because it probably...
There is no reason you can't upgrade the graphics card before you upgrade the platform. The majority of games are mainly GPU dependent anyhow, so in those types of games CPU performance isn't nearly as important but for games that are CPU dependent your FPS and general CPU related performance will likely still be an issue, however, no matter what you will likely see some kind of benefit anyhow by upgrading the PSU and graphics card. Whether there is a bottleneck or not is really unimportant. It will get better with a better graphics card and then it will get better again with a newer, higher performance platform.

It wouldn't make any sense to upgrade the platform while keeping the older graphics card anyhow, because it probably wouldn't gain you much of anything unless you were gaming at a very low resolution.

No, the ray tracing is not worth the extra money, for most people. In fact, I don't even use it on my graphics card for the most part because of the hit to performance. If the 5700xt is cheaper, then it is possibly the better purchase. The Nvidia card generally, so far at least, has better and more consistent driver support though. So pick your poison.

Solution

MatteoCaporale

Commendable
Mar 11, 2020

It wouldn't make any sense to upgrade the platform while keeping the older graphics card anyhow, because it probably wouldn't gain you much of anything unless you were gaming at a very low resolution.

No, the ray tracing is not worth the extra money, for most people. In fact, I don't even use it on my graphics card for the most part because of the hit to performance. If the 5700xt is cheaper, then it is possibly the better purchase. The Nvidia card generally, so far at least, has better and more consistent driver support though. So pick your poison.
Thank you