ChuckFerrera

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
So I am starting a new build and have almost everything pinned down. I thought I had my SSD boot drive picked out but Newegg threw a fast ball and offered $55 off another SSD (Today and tomorrow only). Now I am faced with a predicament.

The board I plan on buying is the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 (also looked at MSI, GA, and ASUS Z77 boards in the same price range. Thought ASRock was best. Other thoughts?)

The two SSD's I am in between are below:

Intel 330 Series Maple Crest 120 GB:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167121

Kingston HyperX 3K 120 GB:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820239045

I have noticed the read/write for the Hyper X are stated higher and the board will end up being $80 instead of $95 for the Intel.

I also just checked out the Intel 520 Series Cherryville 120 GB:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167093

This one costs a little more than I initially wanted to spend, but let's throw it into the mix.

What do you guys think?

Any help is much appreciated!

If you need a long lasting drive then Intel is simply the best, and that is a killer price on it. If you want to save a buck, but still want something reliable then look into Crucial or Samsung. If you just want a drive that you plan on replacing in a few years anyways then look into OCZ or Mushkin.

AS Rock just got the Tom's recommended award, and they are a good company. I had to RMA a board from them last year and they were pretty quick about it, and very professional.
ASUS typically has the nicest BIOS/UEFI options, and have an overall reputation of being 'the best' boards on the market, but they have had a few flop products so be sure to read reviews before purchase.
MSI is great for high quality budget boards, but I would be hesitant about using them in a high end build unless they have some feature you 'must have' that others do not offer in the price range.

ChuckFerrera

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

Thank you very much for the quick and informative reply.

I would definitely like the drive to be as reliable and long lasting as possible. Just to clarify, are you talking about the Intel 330 or 520 on the killer price?

I did also look at the Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 128GB. How does that stack up to the Intel 330 120GB? Since both of these are reputable companies, please neglect price and take into consideration performance instead.

Also, how much better is the 520 than the 330 and M4?

I think I will stick with the ASRock on that note. It seems to have better features (and more of them) than the GA, MSI, and ASUS I was looking at (GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H, ASUS P8Z77-V LK, MSI Z77A-G45).

Thanks again for the help!

ChuckFerrera

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

That throws another into the mix! More research!

So would you take the $80 Hyper X over all others from a reliability and performance standpoint?

ChuckFerrera

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

Mmm. I see.

Well. Level-setting with you, The Hyper X is $80 (only until tomorrow) and the M4 is $120. The Crucial is supposedly more reliable (would you say that is true?), but the Kingston is supposed to have faster read/write speeds (although I have read the Hyper X does not legitimately run at these speeds)...

What do I do?!?!?!?! Haha!

ChuckFerrera

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

Hahaha!

I think I may dive in. Before I do however, how often do you expect to replace one of your SSD's?

Thank you so much for all of your help.

ChuckFerrera

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

Lol! I hear that. How is Kingston's customer service?

I am sorry I am asking soooo many questions. This is my first time on a forum and having such a wealth of knowledge from people who are willing to give it is rather awesome. Thanks for your patience.