i5-4440S
8gb ram
2gb gt710
1tb hdd
currently running win7
will i install win10 or usewin7 only
i do some lightgaming ,java programming,download movies etc

Solution

Yes, Windows 10 is lighter and faster. My mothers old i3 based system runs noticeably faster on Win10

His stuff isn't that old. I've installed Win 10 on far older systems and it runs noticeably better than 7.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Stick with 7. You already have everything setup. 10 offers very little gain on anything and can have issues with some older stuff. Win7 extended support is good until Jan 2020, so you've got time and by that time win12 will be out and you can skip 10 entirely

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Yes, Windows 10 is lighter and faster. My mothers old i3 based system runs noticeably faster on Win10

His stuff isn't that old. I've installed Win 10 on far older systems and it runs noticeably better than 7.

Solution

antishill

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
I really do not understand the obsession to still be stuck with windows 7 because of false claims/beliefs about security, personal data sharing, performance, advertising, privacy settings etc. What is indisputable at this point with spectre and meltdown, is that older windows will suffer more and system call overhead in older windows have been demonstrated to take a bigger hit. I am no fan of Microsoft, but the windows 7 update process is a lot more hassle and far more time consumning than windows 10.