[SOLVED] Which part is damaged?

YTP

Oct 27, 2020
Hello, here is something really weird that happened

Basically I did something really stupid and ended up shorting the motherboard (I was routing a fan RGB cable while the pc was powered on). While routing it, I most likely made contact with a pin on the back of the motherboard with the RGB 4pin. The PC would not boot after this. The LED Debug was showing that it was a ram problem (I have 2x 8gb ram sticks). I tried booting with 1 stick of ram instead of 2 and then it started working again. Afterwards, I replaced the installed ram with the second one so make sure that it was the motherboard that got damaged not a faulty or damaged ram stick. Still booted so the issue was clearly a damaged motherboard that won't accept two ram sticks.

I ended up buying a new motherboard but here is where it gets weird. I tried booting with the new motherboard but it would not boot. (Obviously, I made sure with the previous motherboard that both ram sticks were working since I tested them separately). I tried every configuration and the only ones that seem to work are 1 stick in A2 OR 2 sticks in A1 and A2. Whenever I try to boot in dual channel or any other configuration, it either would not boot or be stuck in a restart loop.

I got two extra ram sticks from a friend to test out if all 4 slots are filled. Still Would not boot. So basically the only configurations that work are slot A1 & A2 Or just A1

Here are the 3 possible explanations Please let me know if there are other suggestions or solutions.

1- The ram sticks got damaged in the previous motherboard (through the pins) and basically messed up the motherboard, now when installed them on the new one, the new motherboard got damaged as well because of the faulty ram. I can't test my ram on another normally working PC because I'm worried it may damage the motherboard. Please let me know if it's possible for a damaged ram to damage the motherboard

2- I actually touched the CPU motherboard pins, Not the ram pins, on the back which damaged the CPU and made it not able to read ram correctly.

3- I'm just unlucky and the new motherboard is not working correctly.

The old motherboard: MSI Z390-A PRO
The new one: Asus Prime Z390-A
The ram sticks: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 3600 (2x 8gb)
CPU: Intel i7 9700k

Last edited:
Solution
Any idea how I can test this safely? I can test my ram sticks on a friend PC but I'm very worried their motherboard may get damaged in case it's an issue with the ram. Also, How likely do you think that a damage from the ram may happen??

You mention both of the sticks working individually or in the "A" slots. I am not sure based on that and without running extended memory tests that you should suspect they are bad. If they are working, the mobo is new, it pretty much only leaves the CPU.

In a case like this and not having another CPU sitting around...well, options are spend money on a CPU and pray, or pay a professional that has one on hand, see if you can borrow one that you are willing to pay for. It will only have to be 9th...

dimtodim

Reputable
1 - When RAM is short circuited, it will fail while initializing the RAM so Processor will do some training and then it reports DIMM as failed DIMM. So Processor won’t take this DIMM into consideration and try to boot with remaining memory
2 - cpu work or not work, cant work with some damage
3 - i dont know how are mark your slots for ram but u need put in a1 and b1 or 1 and 3, a2 b2, 2 and 4...that is the way how works dual chanel

YTP

Oct 27, 2020
1 - When RAM is short circuited, it will fail while initializing the RAM so Processor will do some training and then it reports DIMM as failed DIMM. So Processor won’t take this DIMM into consideration and try to boot with remaining memory
2 - cpu work or not work, cant work with some damage
3 - i dont know how are mark your slots for ram but u need put in a1 and b1 or 1 and 3, a2 b2, 2 and 4...that is the way how works dual chanel
Correct if I'm wrong, but i thought a damaged CPU may work but it will malfunction depending on the damage. For example, a bent pin related to reading the ram may cause an issue similar to mine. So in my case the CPU being short circuited may cause something similar no?

Also, as I stated in my post. I tried every configuration dual channel or single and the only ones that work are A1 &A2 or just A2

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
In relation to your problem here...I can only imagine that you are using a "x" SKU in that Z mobo. If the CPU is stable and working aside from that, and replacement reveals it to have been the problem it should still make a really good part to drop in an office only type build or HTPC type rig, file server....losing the ability for dual channel is going to hurt on those intensive and gaming tasks.

YTP

Oct 27, 2020
I agree with your assessment on the motherboard damage.
Given the details given my thoughts would go towards some portion of damage to the CPU on the lanes related to memory.
Any idea how I can test this safely? I can test my ram sticks on a friend PC but I'm very worried their motherboard may get damaged in case it's an issue with the ram. Also, How likely do you think that a damage from the ram may happen?

YTP

Oct 27, 2020
In relation to your problem here...I can only imagine that you are using a "x" SKU in that Z mobo. If the CPU is stable and working aside from that, and replacement reveals it to have been the problem it should still make a really good part to drop in an office only type build or HTPC type rig, file server....losing the ability for dual channel is going to hurt on those intensive and gaming tasks.
I have been using the same i7 9700k

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Any idea how I can test this safely? I can test my ram sticks on a friend PC but I'm very worried their motherboard may get damaged in case it's an issue with the ram. Also, How likely do you think that a damage from the ram may happen??

You mention both of the sticks working individually or in the "A" slots. I am not sure based on that and without running extended memory tests that you should suspect they are bad. If they are working, the mobo is new, it pretty much only leaves the CPU.

In a case like this and not having another CPU sitting around...well, options are spend money on a CPU and pray, or pay a professional that has one on hand, see if you can borrow one that you are willing to pay for. It will only have to be 9th gen (anything) with the same socket to test your RAM and mobo lanes.

Solution

YTP

Oct 27, 2020

In a case like this and not having another CPU sitting around...well, options are spend money on a CPU and pray, or pay a professional that has one on hand, see if you can borrow one that you are willing to pay for. It will only have to be 9th gen (anything) with the same socket to test your RAM and mobo lanes.
Yeah I made sure both ram sticks (single stick) boot up the system. Even tried it on my friend's ram and the same exact results happened so the chances that the rams are faulty is very slim I suppose that leaves just the CPU as you said. but is it possible for it to be damaged through the pins behind the motherboard? I assume it may damage the socket not the CPU but feel free to correct me.

Last edited: