[SOLVED] Which part is the culprit?

May 24, 2022
I was recently gifted a hammydown pc(my first one) that can get about 50 fps if I’m lucky. I’ve done a fair bit of research but because I’m so new to this a lot of it makes no sense.
my first issue is that it will at the most random times shut off (everything immediately turns off) and then starts right back up on it’s own. Could be in the middle of a game, watching YouTube or nothing at all. The other is that it’s recently started to crash a lot during games. Dev error is what im getting. I’m currently running a GTX 1060 6GB, intel i7-6700k 4.00GHz, 16 gb ram, 1tb ssd.
Thanks for any advise on fixes or upgrades that could fix these issues

Solution
All those point towards lack of power to the cpu. That would incline me to believe the pc at one point was overclocked, either manually through bios or via motherboard software like Gigabyte OC Genie etc. And not reset correctly.

Windows is windows. Essentially it's software that's loaded by the bios in order for the pc to be user accessible. Bios is Basic Input/Output System. It's the essential firmware needed to distinguish a pc from a coffee maker. Think of bios like your bones, gives shape, definition and mobility. OS is the brains, gives directions to muscles (apps and programs) and does all the autonomous functions like heartbeats and breathing.

Like bones, the brain cannot change anything about them. Can't make a bone bend or...
I was recently gifted a hammydown pc(my first one) that can get about 50 fps if I’m lucky. I’ve done a fair bit of research but because I’m so new to this a lot of it makes no sense.
my first issue is that it will at the most random times shut off (everything immediately turns off) and then starts right back up on it’s own. Could be in the middle of a game, watching YouTube or nothing at all. The other is that it’s recently started to crash a lot during games. Dev error is what im getting. I’m currently running a GTX 1060 6GB, intel i7-6700k 4.00GHz, 16 gb ram, 1tb ssd.
Thanks for any advise on fixes or upgrades that could fix these issues
Give the innards a good cleaning.
Heatsinks and fans extra clean.
Reseat all plugs/connectors.
Test.

Reactions: Karadjgne
May 24, 2022
Check Windows Event Viewer, look for red flagged critical errors. Reset cmos/bios to factory defaults.
Under critical I have Kernel power 41ID 63 task category
Under error I have alot. Service control manager, kernel event tracing, defrag, vss, app error, WHEA logger, distributedCOM, schannel, DHCPv6 client,

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
All those point towards lack of power to the cpu. That would incline me to believe the pc at one point was overclocked, either manually through bios or via motherboard software like Gigabyte OC Genie etc. And not reset correctly.

Windows is windows. Essentially it's software that's loaded by the bios in order for the pc to be user accessible. Bios is Basic Input/Output System. It's the essential firmware needed to distinguish a pc from a coffee maker. Think of bios like your bones, gives shape, definition and mobility. OS is the brains, gives directions to muscles (apps and programs) and does all the autonomous functions like heartbeats and breathing.

Like bones, the brain cannot change anything about them. Can't make a bone bend or get bigger or smaller, move etc. So no, a windows reset is seperate from bios functionality.

Boot the pc. Before windows tries to start, spam the Delete button. That should get you into bios. F5 is the normal button to reset to factory defaults. F10 is save/exit. It'll reboot but bypass normal cmos saves. Next time you shutdown, cmos will be changed.

Solution
May 24, 2022

Like bones, the brain cannot change anything about them. Can't make a bone bend or get bigger or smaller, move etc. So no, a windows reset is seperate from bios functionality.

Boot the pc. Before windows tries to start, spam the Delete button. That should get you into bios. F5 is the normal button to reset to factory defaults. F10 is save/exit. It'll reboot but bypass normal cmos saves. Next time you shutdown, cmos will be changed.
Thanks for the advise. I tried resetting to factory defaults and it claims I’ve made no changes. Meaning it was already setup with defaults. Any other advice would be appreciated

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
This is an odd answer, but, overclock the system. In the process you will be tweaking various voltages and verifying many settings.

Default configurations on a lot of motherboards over do it with things like core voltage, but have the defaults for some of the minor voltages. If this thing spent a lot of time overclocked in the past, it may need more of a push to be stable.

https://www.tweaktown.com/guides/74...e-intel-skylake-overclocking-guide/index.html