Which part of my PC needs upgrading?

Chris_263

Commendable
Jul 15, 2016
Recently bought a new GTX 980 TI, which I've seen running GTA V on ultra at more than 60 FPS. I can currently barely get a stable 30 FPS on the same settings..

Which part of my PC shoud I look to upgrade to get the same results? My other specs are:

AMD FX-6350 CPU
or
MSI 970 ATX Motherboard
or
16GB Ram

I'm not all that tech savvy yet. A simple, this is better than that will do.

Solution
Problem is you need a new CPU but using a different socket so you need a new motherboard. If your going to buy a new cpu & motherboard it should be latest generation so you will need DDR4 RAM. Also if your Windows is OEM you will need a new licence as your copy will be tied to your current motherboard.
Problem is you need a new CPU but using a different socket so you need a new motherboard. If your going to buy a new cpu & motherboard it should be latest generation so you will need DDR4 RAM. Also if your Windows is OEM you will need a new licence as your copy will be tied to your current motherboard.

Solution

mcconkeymike

Distinguished
I agree that your CPU is your weakest link. If I was going to upgrade, I would try to sell your mobo and CPU and then buy an i5-4690k and a Z97 mobo. Or you could sell the mobo, CPU, and RAM and purchase an i5-6600k, Z170 mobo, and DDR4 RAM. But if you are just wanting the "easiest" upgrade, then you could get a FX-8320 or 8350 and just drop it in to your mobo and that "could" help, not certain how much though. Best bet is to build a new system like I said before, otherwise you are wasting that wonderful 980ti. Hope this helps.