Question Which part of the motherboard is responsible for powering on the system when power button is pressed on the case?

davidbozovic1

Honorable
Aug 29, 2017
Title. Asking because I might have short circuited my motherboard when I was installing an m.2 ssd as after installing it my computer won't shut down when i choose so in windows, nor will it shut down when i hold the power button. Only restart button works. When I want to shut my pc down, I choose shut down in windows, and my Pc partially shuts down, the fans still spin, and when that happens I just hit the switch on the power supply. Is this fixable or do I need to get a new mobo?

Title. Asking because I might have short circuited my motherboard when I was installing an m.2 ssd as after installing it my computer won't shut down when i choose so in windows, nor will it shut down when i hold the power button. Only restart button works. When I want to shut my pc down, I choose shut down in windows, and my Pc partially shuts down, the fans still spin, and when that happens I just hit the switch on the power supply. Is this fixable or do I need to get a new mobo?
There is no one particular part Rest CMO/BIOS first.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
I'm not certain it's a hardware problem. Windows shutdown seems to be as complicated as startup...it unloads applications and drivers and saves bits of information that helps it to start up faster. I've had the same sort of thing happen when Windows shut down would hang up. When it hangs, can you push down the power button for 5 seconds or so and force it to shut down?

I'd agree the first thing to do is reset CMOS to see if that helps. Also do an SFC /scannow in a command prompt with admin rights. You can also try disabling Fast Startup: type "Power Plans" in the search box, then "Choose what the power buttons do", then "Change settings that are unavailable" then untick the "Fast Startup" box. With super-fast NVME SSD drives it's not as useful as it used to be.

Last edited:

davidbozovic1

Honorable
Aug 29, 2017
I did all the things mentioned above but none of them helped. Pushing the power button does nothing. I can only use it to initially start up my PC after switching on the power supply. After that the button becomes partially useless; when I press it, Windows does initiate shutdown, but it won't shut down completely, the fans still spin, and maybe something else is also going on, that I do not know.