[SOLVED] Which part should I upgrade first for MS Teams app? RAM or SSD?

Yusril R

Honorable
Nov 16, 2014
Hello, I need an advice regarding which part I should upgrade first. I don't have much money to upgrade both so I only able to upgrade one of them first.

Currently, I'm using pretty low specs laptop for my college stuff. Here are my specs:

CPU: Intel Celeron N3350 @1.1GHz up to 2.4GHz
RAM: 4GB DDR3L
Storage: 500GB 5400 RPM
Page file: 10 GB

The problem that I'm experiencing is it's so slow when meeting using Microsoft Teams. For instance, audio only meeting is bearable however when I'm presenting my slideshow using webcam it lagging and sometimes it crashes. When I turned off my webcam it doesn't lag so much, but I need to turn on my webcam for presence validation. Each session of meeting using around 700-1GB of RAM and I'm usually open browser and documents (Words/PDF/PowerPoint) when presenting.

I'm currently looking at either 8GB RAM or Samsung 870 EVO 250GB. I'm confused whether Microsoft Teams is heavily depend on RAM or should I upgrade SSD first to make the page file faster caching?

Any comments and input is appreciated! Sorry if this is belong to wrong category since I'm confused between the two different parts.

Solution
Is SSD doesn't have significant impact in term of real-time image-processing performance? I mean, if my RAM were filled up and the unimportant data moved to pagefile wouldn't it increase the performance? Just asking for hypothesis opinion.
If it has to delve into the pagefile, then yes, solid state would be better than HDD.

But any drive is massively slower than actual RAM.

AN SSD is a huge help here.
But so is upping the RAM from 4 to 8.

Yusril R

Honorable
Nov 16, 2014
Right.
I should have been more specific....that was in the context of a new system.

A N3350 @1.1GHz and 4GB RAM running Windows is going to be subpar.
Layer Teams on top of that, and it will only be worse.

Is SSD doesn't have significant impact in term of real-time image-processing performance? I mean, if my RAM were filled up and the unimportant data moved to pagefile wouldn't it increase the performance? Just asking for hypothesis opinion.

USAFRet

Titan
If it has to delve into the pagefile, then yes, solid state would be better than HDD.

But any drive is massively slower than actual RAM.

AN SSD is a huge help here.
But so is upping the RAM from 4 to 8.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS