Which part should I upgrade next?

dumbleburn

Reputable
Aug 19, 2017
So, I use my PC for gaming and I'll buy a 500gb SSD for it. After that, I'm thinking of upgrading one of its parts (maybe CPU or graphics card). PC configs are:
LGA1151 i5 6400 2.70GHz 6MB Cache INTEL
GTX1060 3GB GDDR5 192Bits PNY
Motherboard LGA1151 H110 DDR4 GIGABYTE
8GB DDR4 2133Mhz Fury Black HYPER X
Power Supply 500W GMX GM500 80Plus PFC
HD 1TB Sata3 64Mb

Solution
If you're going to stick with the display, there's no need to upgrade the CPU/MB/RAM/GPU, they're all more than capable of running that resolution, I suspect, even with modern games pretty well maxed out.
If you want to boot off the new SSD be aware it'll be tricky to migrate the OS to it, probably the best option would be to bite the bullet and reinstall everything: OS, games and apps taking the opportunity to update ALL the system software while you're at it.

Me, I'd go for a 2Tb HDD and a 256Gb SSD.

Suggestion:
Get a large USB drive and download, then save, the latest system software to it, that way you'll have the latest software for the system and peripherals to hand.
The same drive can be used to hold your valuable...
If you want to add a stronger graphics card you'll almost certainly need to change the power supply, the one installed has only a single 6+2 PCI-E power lead and it's NOT a good idea to run powerful GPUs' off molex/PCI-E converter leads.

What type of games do you play and what is the resolution of your display/s? Some game types will benefit from a faster CPU, others from a stronger GPU while display resolution/refresh rate is also important to consider- higher rez/refresh demands more of the GPU regardless of CPU.

While I like SSDs' for their speed and silence 500Gb is going to be an expensive upgrade. Why do you want to install such a large drive? It may be better to get a smaller drive to use for just boot/a few select apps/games and transferring the cash saved elsewhere while using the HDD for the bulk of your storage needs.

And finally: What is your budget?

dumbleburn

Reputable
Aug 19, 2017

I play mostly FPS, like BF1 and R6. My display has a low resolution of 1600x900, and I have a budget of approximately U$ 800. For the SSD, I have only 1TB of HDD and I thought about getting a 2TB HDD + 250GB SSD or a 500GB SSD. What do you think it's the best one?

brian.h.schaefer

Prominent
Aug 23, 2017

That very much depends on what your storage needs are. I personally do not see much point of a huge SSD. I currently have a 120GB SSD paired with a 1TB hard drive. I wish I had a 250GB SSD sometimes. I do not save videos or anything like that on the PC though. I just have documents, powerpoints, and games.

Seeing that display resolution I would probably opt for a better monitor next.

If you're going to stick with the display, there's no need to upgrade the CPU/MB/RAM/GPU, they're all more than capable of running that resolution, I suspect, even with modern games pretty well maxed out.
If you want to boot off the new SSD be aware it'll be tricky to migrate the OS to it, probably the best option would be to bite the bullet and reinstall everything: OS, games and apps taking the opportunity to update ALL the system software while you're at it.

Me, I'd go for a 2Tb HDD and a 256Gb SSD.

Suggestion:
Get a large USB drive and download, then save, the latest system software to it, that way you'll have the latest software for the system and peripherals to hand.
The same drive can be used to hold your valuable data, so it can be imported to the fresh Windows install without loss.
You can also use the Windows Media Creation Tool to download the latest Win 10 to the USB drive, assuming your system has USB 3.0 installing this way is much faster than using a DVD drive. Your existing key will activate the new install, just select 'I don't have a key' during the install process, Windows should automatically activate using your existing key or through the 'digital license'.

Solution

dumbleburn

Reputable
Aug 19, 2017

How large does the USB drive have to be so I can download the OS to it as you said? Also, if I bought a new display (1920x1080) what should I update then?

dumbleburn

Reputable
Aug 19, 2017

If I bought a new monitor (1920x1080) what do you think I should update next?