warhammer3025

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
I'm looking to upgrade some bits of my computer, and I would like to investigate which bit it should be. I'm slightly concerned that a newer graphics card would be held back by the other parts of my system, but am not sure how much that would matter.

I currently run an Intel Core2 Duo E7200 on an MSI P45-C51 motherboard (with 8GB of DDR3 RAM), and an ATI 4870HD video card.

Should I look at upgrading the motherboard and processor? Or should I just go ahead with a newer graphics card?

search818

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
I would wait to upgrade your processor and mobo. With Bulldozer right around the corner and ivy bridge in q1 2012 there is going to be a whole lot of new hardware hitting the market. I personally would upgrade the gpu and try to hold off on the cpu and mobo for a few more months.

Your cpu at it's current clock speed would not do a decent video card justice. If you can overclock the crap out of it, I say get a new video card and then upgrade your platform when you have the money or decide what you want.

If your running a low resolution, there's more load on the cpu. If your running higher resolution then there is less load on the cpu.

warhammer3025

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
My monitor runs at 1650 x 1080.

I don't have the money for a total system rebuild. If I did, I would simply do that.

I've never overclocked anything before. I've never been comfortable with the possibility of blowing out a part that I can't afford to replace. Aside from that, the room the computer is in already gets incredibly hot (80-90+ degrees Fahrenheit on an average summer day) and I don't have any better cooling options than the stock CPU fan.