[SOLVED] Which part to upgrade first, (mobo + GPU) or (CPU)?

MLMDota

Prominent
Dec 29, 2020
Approximate Purchase Date: ideally within 3 weeks but I'm keeping an eye on second-hand marketplaces for good deals

Budget Range: £90 or so per part limit? I know I can't expect a major upgrade for that but again, second-hand I think maybe it's doable?

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Twitch livestreaming, gaming, editing/rendering video, watching YouTube

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: Eventually mobo + CPU + GPU, but which first I don't know, this is what I'm asking for advice on (Current PSU: Powercool 80+ Quad 850W)

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Ebay, facebook marketplace

Location: City, State/Region, Country - Leicestershire, England, UK

Parts Preferences: anything that is compatible with the other parts of my current build

Overclocking: Maybe? I never looked into it much, mainly because I only recently replaced my PC case and fans when the previous one was basically an oven and would definitely have killed anything resembling an overclocked part LOL

SLI or Crossfire: I think no?

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I run Streamlabs OBS to stream Football Manager. The most intensive games I play offline are Dota 2 and the Souls series, so I would like to be able to stream them in case I decide to in future (Dota tanks my framerate even in borderless window when streaming and DS3 takes like literally 3 minutes to load in some assets at times - I'm guessing an upgrade to allow me to play Elden Ring will be too ambitious at this price point haha). I'm not a stickler for 60FPS ultra settings or anything, if I can play something stable 30fps on medium while streaming I'm happy :)

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I guess I explained in this previous section, I want a machine for livestreaming games that runs a bit better than my current one, ideally I could stream in 1080p on the above listed games.

The question I'm ultimately asking is, where will my money be best allocated first? Bottlenecking sites seem to suggest my current build is pretty balanced so I'm not sure what will provide the best value. For a bit more context, I previously tried to upgrade my GPU to a 1060 but it did not work with my current motherboard (after about 15 hours of troubleshooting) so I would need a new motherboard to upgrade the GPU and it would need to be the same size as my current one. The CPU has been through a fair bit more use than the GPU since it's been in the PC longer. I'm also open to the possibility of going for a 2 PC setup for streaming, if picking up an office PC from ebay and a capture card would be the easiest way of boosting performance by spreading the load across 2 machines.

tldr; Where will I get the most bang for my buck on an upgrade?

Current PC specs:
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Twin Frozr Edition
Motherboard: Gigabyte H61M S2PV rev 2.0
Monitor: BenQ RL2455
CPU: Intel i5-2500k
PSU: Powercool 80+ Quad 850W
8GB RAM

Thanks!

Solution
Thanks for the response,
would a Ryzen 5 1600 or 2600 fit in my current motherboard or would I require a new motherboard to go with it? My processor socket is LGA1155 in the current mobo. How can I find out if an AMD processor will fit my motherboard, or will none of them?
Yes you will need to upgrade with a motherboard
So the motherboard which is compatible with this cpu is a a320 or a b350 or b450. Note that the b350 and a320 youll need to bios update it, if you dont know how to do that go to a repair shop and ask them to do it for you.
Heres some option
https://www.ebay.com/itm/284173611637?epid=23024762233&hash=item422a113275:g:U7sAAOSwvtNgHWMO&LH_BIN=1...

Giant Hunger

Respectable
Jun 23, 2021
Approximate Purchase Date: ideally within 3 weeks but I'm keeping an eye on second-hand marketplaces for good deals

Budget Range: £90 or so per part limit? I know I can't expect a major upgrade for that but again, second-hand I think maybe it's doable?

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Twitch livestreaming, gaming, editing/rendering video, watching YouTube

Parts to Upgrade: Eventually mobo + CPU + GPU, but which first I don't know, this is what I'm asking for advice on (Current PSU: Powercool 80+ Quad 850W)

Parts Preferences: anything that is compatible with the other parts of my current build

Overclocking: Maybe? I never looked into it much, mainly because I only recently replaced my PC case and fans when the previous one was basically an oven and would definitely have killed anything resembling an overclocked part LOL

Additional Comments: I run Streamlabs OBS to stream Football Manager. The most intensive games I play offline are Dota 2 and the Souls series, so I would like to be able to stream them in case I decide to in future (Dota tanks my framerate even in borderless window when streaming and DS3 takes like literally 3 minutes to load in some assets at times - I'm guessing an upgrade to allow me to play Elden Ring will be too ambitious at this price point haha). I'm not a stickler for 60FPS ultra settings or anything, if I can play something stable 30fps on medium while streaming I'm happy :)

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I guess I explained in this previous section, I want a machine for livestreaming games that runs a bit better than my current one, ideally I could stream in 1080p on the above listed games.

The question I'm ultimately asking is, where will my money be best allocated first? Bottlenecking sites seem to suggest my current build is pretty balanced so I'm not sure what will provide the best value. For a bit more context, I previously tried to upgrade my GPU to a 1060 but it did not work with my current motherboard (after about 15 hours of troubleshooting) so I would need a new motherboard to upgrade the GPU and it would need to be the same size as my current one. The CPU has been through a fair bit more use than the GPU since it's been in the PC longer. I'm also open to the possibility of going for a 2 PC setup for streaming, if picking up an office PC from ebay and a capture card would be the easiest way of boosting performance by spreading the load across 2 machines.

Current PC specs:
8GB RAM

Thanks!
If your going to stream i suggest you to upgrade your cpu first because its cpu intensive while streaming.
Maybe upgrade your cpu to a 6 core processor like a ryzen 5 1600 or 2600, those only cost like $100

MLMDota

Prominent
Dec 29, 2020
If your going to stream i suggest you to upgrade your cpu first because its cpu intensive while streaming.
Maybe upgrade your cpu to a 6 core processor like a ryzen 5 1600 or 2600, those only cost like $100

Thanks for the response,
would a Ryzen 5 1600 or 2600 fit in my current motherboard or would I require a new motherboard to go with it? My processor socket is LGA1155 in the current mobo. How can I find out if an AMD processor will fit my motherboard, or will none of them?

Giant Hunger

Respectable
Jun 23, 2021
Thanks for the response,
Yes you will need to upgrade with a motherboard
So the motherboard which is compatible with this cpu is a a320 or a b350 or b450. Note that the b350 and a320 youll need to bios update it, if you dont know how to do that go to a repair shop and ask them to do it for you.
Heres some option
https://www.ebay.com/itm/284173611637?epid=23024762233&hash=item422a113275:g:U7sAAOSwvtNgHWMO&LH_BIN=1

Reactions: MLMDota
Solution

MLMDota

Prominent
Dec 29, 2020

I shall commit those to memory, thanks. Are there any LGA1155 CPUs that may be worth upgrading to or is this socket too limiting for upgrades? If I were to get an upgraded LGA1155 CPU, would it be difficult to get a motherboard that would accept newer GPUs I will want to get at some point?

Giant Hunger

Respectable
Jun 23, 2021
I shall commit those to memory, thanks. Are there any LGA1155 CPUs that may be worth upgrading to or is this socket too limiting for upgrades? If I were to get an upgraded LGA1155 CPU, would it be difficult to get a motherboard that would accept newer GPUs I will want to get at some point?
Just buy a new cpu and new motherboard, you wont regret it.
oh yeah make sure you buy new ram as well, the ram your using is a ddr3, youll need to buy a ddr4 ram

MLMDota

Prominent
Dec 29, 2020
Thanks everyone! I will take a look at those i7s and Xeon E3s and see if I can spot a good deal. In the long-term I'll probably look towards AMD Ryzen for a more substantial upgrade and if I decide to pick up one of the LGA1155 CPUs, I guess I can sell it on if I upgrade to recoup some of the expense. That link for the compatible CPUs for my mobo is really useful, so thank you for that!

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
Definitly check out website like offerup and mercari for really good deals. 6c/12 would be the sweet spot for streaming. For example I found a ryzen 5 1600 for 60$ a gtx 970 for 100$ and the rest of a pc with an am4 motherboard for 100. 250$ for a complete streaming pc. It takes some searching but with some patience and luck you can save tons on the used market

Giant Hunger

Respectable
Jun 23, 2021
Definitly check out website like offerup and mercari for really good deals. 6c/12 would be the sweet spot for streaming. For example I found a ryzen 5 1600 for 60$ a gtx 970 for 100$ and the rest of a pc with an am4 motherboard for 100. 250$ for a complete streaming pc. It takes some searching but with some patience and luck you can save tons on the used market
Thats a cool webite, thanks for sharing
I found a ryzen 5 2600 with a b450 for just $130
https://offerup.com/item/detail/1074379574?q=ryzen+5+2600

Current PC specs:
8GB RAM

Thanks!
Trying to upgrade in 125 buck pieces presents a problem.
I don't think you can get a cpu/mobo/ram combo that's an upgrade for that price.

Working with what you have see if you can bump the cpu to a 3770/3770k that should be a straight swap.

With the next 125 bump the ram to 2x8GB @ 1333.