Which PC should I get???

I need a PC, preferably an AMD because I'm planning on doing some
gaming (not really serious), that would be around 3 GHz. I plan on
having a friend build it so i'm going to buy the parts separately. I
also need a decent (but not top of the line) sound card, video card,
and LCD monitor (17"). I will also need a motherboard, hard drive
(how much will be sufficient), memory (512MB or 1GB) and all the
fixings that go along with it. I plan on playing games like Call of
Duty, Command and Conquer Generals, Halo and don't want any lag or
problems with running the graphics. I would like to keep the price
around 1100$ to 1200$ if that is possible?

==============

Having escaped, in tact, from the Democratic Convention, frankthetank5@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (frankthetank5)
inked:

>I need a PC, preferably an AMD because I'm planning on doing some
>gaming (not really serious), that would be around 3 GHz.

AMD doesn't make a CPU that fast.

>I also need a decent (but not top of the line) sound card,

NForce2 motherboard, great sound on-board.

> video card,

Figure at least $200.

>and LCD monitor (17").

LCDs aren't good for gaming, get a decent 19" monitor.

> hard drive (how much will be sufficient),

Depends on what else you plan on using the system for.
20 gigs would be more than enough for several recent 3D games.
Larger drives will usually be faster.

>memory (512MB or 1GB)

Your choice, more than 512 megs probably won't make any difference.

>I would like to keep the price
>around 1100$ to 1200$ if that is possible?

Here in San Diego, you could buy an assembled system; Athlon64 3000+,
Asus or MSI MB, 512 megs DDR 400 ram, ATI 9800 Pro video, 120 gig HD
WD serial ATA, CD burner or DVD-ROM drive, keyboard, speakers, and
mouse, for under $900.

Add a bigger HD (200gig +$40), or DVD burner (8x dual-format, +$64),
and it's still about $1000.

For $20 more, you could switch to a 3200+, for $100, a 3400+.

You can probably beat those prices by shopping carefully on-line.

You can get a very good 19" monitor for under $200.

--

The truth is out there,

but it's not interesting enough for most people.

frankthetank5 wrote:
> I need a PC, preferably an AMD because I'm planning on doing some
> gaming (not really serious), that would be around 3 GHz.

Do you mean 3 Ghz, or rated at 3000+? I know it's a little confusing, but
AMD doesn't make a processor that actually runs at 3 Ghz, but it makes a few
processors that perform as well as an Intel processor at 3 Ghz, which is why
they call it "3000+".

Yousuf Khan

On 7 Aug 2004 02:05:35 -0400,
frankthetank5@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (frankthetank5) wrote:

>I need a PC, preferably an AMD because I'm planning on doing some
>gaming (not really serious), that would be around 3 GHz. I plan on
>having a friend build it so i'm going to buy the parts separately. I
>also need a decent (but not top of the line) sound card, video card,
>and LCD monitor (17"). I will also need a motherboard, hard drive
>(how much will be sufficient), memory (512MB or 1GB) and all the
>fixings that go along with it. I plan on playing games like Call of
>Duty, Command and Conquer Generals, Halo and don't want any lag or
>problems with running the graphics. I would like to keep the price
>around 1100$ to 1200$ if that is possible?

Given those requirements, if I were setting up a system it would
probably look something like this:

(note: all prices from www.newegg.com)

AMD Athlon64 3000+ processor $175
MSI K8N Neo FSR motherboard $109
Antec "Sonata" case + PS $115
Seagate 80GB SATA drive $71
Lite-on 12x DVD burner $80
Mushkin 512MB PC32000 mem $78
Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro $198

Total cost is $826. Add in a floppy drive, keyboard and mouse as
needed and you should still be able to add in your 17" LCD for about
the $1200 you've budgeted for (before software costs mind you).

There are a few things you could tweak here in terms of price. For
example, there are lots of cases that are somewhat cheaper than the
Antec Sonata, you could probably shave a bit off there if you wanted
to. The only thing to watch out for is not to go too cheap on the
power supply, a good quality power supply is pretty much a must on a
modern system. You could also drop down to a Sapphire Radeon 9600XT
video card and save about $60 while still having a card that could
play most current games at an acceptable rate (the latest and greatest
first-person shooters might want a bit more, and next years games
might start getting a bit sluggish on a 9600XT).

Or if you need more hard drive space a 120GB drive would only set you
back an extra $20 or so, though whether or not you need that space is
tough to say. FWIW I've personally got 120GB worth of hard drive
space and have both Windows and Linux loaded, a handful of modern
games, a bunch of applications and about 800 songs ripped from my CD
collection sitting on these drives, and I still have about 30-40GB
left over after all this, so I would guess that 80GB is a decent
amount at the moment for the majority of users.

You could also add in a second 512MB memory module for only another
$78, though I would stick with the 512MB for the moment and upgrade
later if/when needed (there are 2 free slots on the motherboard).

FWIW you could also probably setup an Intel P4 based system for a
similar sort of price range. Just swap out the processor for a P4
3.0C ($223), switch the motherboard for something like the MSI 865PE
Neo2-V ($73) and the memory for 2x256MB Kingston ValueRam ($91).
Total cost would only be $20 more than the AMD setup, and performance
should be close between the two.

Personally though I would stick with AMD and the Athlon64. For your
applications the performance would probably be a bit higher, the price
is the tiniest bit lower and you've got the added bonus of 64-bit
capabilities if/when software support arrives.

Tony Hill