gigglesinep

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
Hello,
In asking for tech help from HP for my desktop they told me to get a PCI LAN card and insert it into my motherboard. I would like to know if anyone can tell me what PCI Lan card to get and if there is a difference.

How old is this HP desktop? It's been quite a while since any desktop/laptop hasn't come w/ at least a wired Ethernet port. Let's face it, the Internet makes this a minimum requirement and the Internet has been available to the general public since 1995. Even if we assume your desktop is circa 2000, you'd think by then it would have shipped w/ an Ethernet port. Just seems odd to me. Is this perhaps to replace a failed Ethernet port on your motherboard?

And btw, a PCI network adapter assumes you have an available PCI slot on your motherboard. You probably do but it doesn't hurt to check.

gigglesinep

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010

The hp tech checked my error code and told me that i needed to replace the network card on my pc. He informed me I needed to replace the motherboard or recommended installing a PCI lan card or usb lan card. I don't know how old my pc is but he went by my pc model and serial number. I just can't seem to find out where to get one of these lan cards from and what exactly I need.