[SOLVED] Which PCIE slot for what component?

magge000

Honorable
Jun 6, 2016
Hello!

I'm trying to install a network card in my build and I can't get it to work.

I'm reading online that you need a PCIe 16x for the network card to work, but I only have one PCIe 16x slot and my GPU is currently installed there. Will it affect my GPU by putting it in an 8x slot?

My question is which of the GPU and the network card should I put in the 16x slot, and which in a PCIe 8x?

Motherboard: ROG STRIX Z370-H
GPU: GTX 970 asus
Network card: TP-link Archer TX3000E

Solution
Graphics card in PCIE x16, network card in PCIE x8. Although it only need a PCIE x1. If board has free PCIE x1 that'll do.

From network card/adapter here: Locate an available PCIE X1 slot and carefully insert the adapter. Also same says:
Note:
If the bracket is not suitable for your computer, detach it from
the adapter's board and replace it with the low-profile bracket.

So the card must come with an interchangable bracket inside the box and user should attach according to their case if necessary.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Graphics card in PCIE x16, network card in PCIE x8. Although it only need a PCIE x1. If board has free PCIE x1 that'll do.

From network card/adapter here: Locate an available PCIE X1 slot and carefully insert the adapter. Also same says:
Note:
If the bracket is not suitable for your computer, detach it from
the adapter's board and replace it with the low-profile bracket.

So the card must come with an interchangable bracket inside the box and user should attach according to their case if necessary.

Solution