[SOLVED] Which phone should I pick..

Feb 1, 2020
Hi,

Recently I was thinking about getting a new phone since my current one (Huawei P9 Lite(2017)) is pretty old. And I saw 2 phones that we're in my budget and that look interesting to me. Huawei Nova 5T and Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro. I need some advice about which should I pick.. especially from the people that had it or the people that had a "hands-on" or "a first look" of it. Or if you know better phones than these 2 ones in the same price range as this ones, let me know.
I'm aiming for Photo quality,everyday use(messaging,Youtube,social media),gaming not so much since I play on my laptop, and functionality.
As I saw until now, Redmi had the most functionality since it has and audio jack ,sd-card slot,infrared(I don't care about it almost at all), better camera some people say,slower charging than Nova 5T(I don't care how much it takes to charge since I'm used to slow charging),significantly worse performance than Nova 5T ,Redmi has bigger battery, Redmi has Plastic frame and Nova 5T Metal frame.(I don't care that much about what is made of since I'm taking care of my phones and I use them in a case), and at last Redmi costs 253$ and Nova 5T 350$(The cheapest one in my country).
Till now, I say the best is Redmi,but I want to know your opinion too about these 2 phones too, or if you know a different phone that is better than these ones in this price range.
I will leave a link with the specs and compare of these 2 phones.
https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9812&idPhone2=9803

Solution
To be honest I never use custom apps and you can't delete them. (n) So the majority of them are just shy of bloatware.

The big difference comes down to this.

Huawei nova 5T
The UI is fairly decent and smooth.
Lacks sdcard slot
Lacks headphone jack
The screen is an IPS LCD so it uses more power and you have a smaller battery.
Full charge in about a 1 hour
Supporting Aptx HD and LE is exceptionally provided you can find a device that uses them, the sound quality is better over your standard Bluetooth codecs.

Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro
The UI isn't all that great but it's usable, it has its moments of clunkiness.
Has a sdcard slot
Has a headphone jack
The screen is also an IPS LCD but with HDR with makes the colors more...

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro

Key features over the Nova

Screen gets brighter and it has a harder outer glass
SDCARD slot
Headphone jack
4500 mAh battery vs 3750 mAh

Huawei nova 5T

Key features over the Note 8 Pro

More 4G LTE bands so it will work with more carriers
Slightly higher pixel density but hardly
Better Selfie camera
Charges a little faster but you will need that with a smaller battery.
The performance is slightly better.
supports Bluetooth codecs aptX, aptX LL, aptX HD, aptX LE

Reactions: Ceclan007
Feb 1, 2020
Hmm camera I don't really know what to say about both. Which is better. I know Redmi on paper says 64 vs Nova that has 48 and that Redmi has good software , but I would like to know about the camera too,I know I want much. I don't get a camera because I'm not that enthusiast,only regular guy that makes sometimes photos and loves that good quality.
And what does that additionally codecs do? I like to learn about new things everyday.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
To be honest I never use custom apps and you can't delete them. (n) So the majority of them are just shy of bloatware.

Huawei nova 5T
Lacks sdcard slot
Lacks headphone jack
Supporting Aptx HD and LE is exceptionally provided you can find a device that uses them, the sound quality is better over your standard Bluetooth codecs.

Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro
Has a sdcard slot
Has a headphone jack
The screen is also an IPS LCD but with HDR with makes the colors more vivid and sharp.
Larger battery but slower fast charging. You can go longer on a charge but it takes a little longer to charge.
Full charge in about 90 minutes.

Both have Camera and supporting software that are quite good, neither is amazing and both can seem quite gimmicky at times but they can take great shots when you need them.

Personally I don't buy devices that don't have an SDcard but that is me as I am a digital horder, the lack of a headphone jack doesn't matter all that much since I use Bluetooth often.

Reactions: Ceclan007
Solution
Feb 1, 2020

Huawei nova 5T
Lacks sdcard slot
Lacks headphone jack

Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro
Has a sdcard slot
Has a headphone jack
The screen is also an IPS LCD but with HDR with makes the colors more vivid and sharp.
Larger battery but slower fast charging. You can go longer on a charge but it takes a little longer to charge.
Full charge in about 90 minutes.

Both have Camera and supporting software that are quite good, neither is amazing and both can seem quite gimmicky at times but they can take great shots when you need them.

Personally I don't buy devices that don't have an SDcard but that is me as I am a digital horder, the lack of a headphone jack doesn't matter all that much since I use Bluetooth often.
Believe it or not,I'm a digital horder or a feature hunter which needs all of it's features all the time,especially the common ones. I need a jack because around here I can't find cheap good wireless heaphones and the good ones cost very much around here and yea.. either get earbuds or wireless headphones that have a lot of delay,either good ones,but which cost a lot. Anyway,thanks for the reply,helped a lot, and I guess I'll go with Redmi since I hate my Huawei storage management and I don't want that thing to happen again. I have 16GB of space and gradually overtime I couldn't install anything on it. I had PUBG mobile and 3 other med size games and after I uninstalled them,and wanted to reinstall,I just simply couldn't. It said I don't have space.