Which piece should come first?

May 2, 2018
So my father in law got a new PC and is letting me use his but not letting me keep it. I was planning on changing out the pieces of the PC so at one point everything in it will be mine and I can have my own PC and he can have his back. I do alot of gaming and I have already gotten the GPU. I was wondering what order I should replace the rest of the pieces to make it mine. Or should I just slowly buy all the components and just build my own PC instead of slowly upgrading this current one?

Solution
Depends on your usage and how long you intend this upgrading process to take.

The motherboard is one of the most restrictive parts of a system. If you fully upgrade your father-in-law's PC, then you'd be restricted to the CPUs its motherboard is compatible with. Whether that's good or not really depends on the current specs. If it's current technology then that would be fine, and you may be able to use better processors still to be released. If it's a dead platform, then it would seem somewhat pointless.

Think about what you intend to do with the PC and build your final system (as this is what you're doing) around your needs.

To avoid incompatibilities issues, I suggest you buy all the components and just build your own PC.

Depends on your usage and how long you intend this upgrading process to take.

The motherboard is one of the most restrictive parts of a system. If you fully upgrade your father-in-law's PC, then you'd be restricted to the CPUs its motherboard is compatible with. Whether that's good or not really depends on the current specs. If it's current technology then that would be fine, and you may be able to use better processors still to be released. If it's a dead platform, then it would seem somewhat pointless.

Think about what you intend to do with the PC and build your final system (as this is what you're doing) around your needs.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

You should save up the money over time, and buy all the parts for a new system at once.