Which pins do I use?

MallowOni

Reputable
Mar 12, 2015
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3088484/led-connectors-setup.html

I have the same question as the person I the link above but those answers don't solve the problem for me. I have a new case with separate cables labeled power switch, reset switch, HDD LED, power LED+, and power LED-. The factory cable is just one big bundle of all of the above. If I don't have the continuity tester Molletts suggested then how do I find out which cable goes to which pins?

Solution
On the motherboard itself, somewhere near those pins, you should see a printed layout of J13. I've seen it even as high up as near the cpu socket, but it should be there. It might need deciphering, it may only be a + and - on one side with H, P, L etc for lettering etc.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
So what are you asking exactly? If you can tell by connectors what is what, they'll all plug in at the lower right hand corner of the board. You'll see (in tiny writing) a couple sets of pins. The only set that's really different is any audio Jacks that'll go to the far left, right above the psu.

MallowOni

Reputable
Mar 12, 2015
Are you saying it doesn't matter which cable goes into which pins on socket 13, Karadjgne? Each cable is just 1-2 connections but that in socket (sorry if I'm using the wrong terms here but hopefully you get my meaning) there are 11 total pin connections. For example if two specific pins in socket 13 are designed for the power button and I plug in the HDD LED cable wouldn't that cause problems?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
On the motherboard itself, somewhere near those pins, you should see a printed layout of J13. I've seen it even as high up as near the cpu socket, but it should be there. It might need deciphering, it may only be a + and - on one side with H, P, L etc for lettering etc.

Solution