[SOLVED] Which port is pcie 3.0? Asus p8z77-V lk?

ReignOfHell

Commendable
Aug 7, 2020
I have been using a 750ti for years, and had it in the white pcie slot, but now that I've upgraded, i am unsure as to which one is actually 3.0.

There are 2 blue ones a white one, and a brown one below the 2nd blie.

A quick reply would be appreciated, since i am in the middle of installig it.

Solution
sorry did not see the update. glad you have the right connection :)

cooling should be fine. the 1650 super only pulls about 100w. i have a 3700x and a 1650 super myself. no issues cooling with basic fans.

the front fan should be drawing air in and the 2 back fans should be pulling air out of the case. hot air rises so those at the top of the back of the case are the ones to be pulling air out. this gives the best airflow.

55-60 is pretty normal. think my 3700x runs about 60 degrees at full gaming load. i'd not worry until it starts hitting into the 70's or higher. anything in the 60's at gaming load is acceptable.

ReignOfHell

Commendable
Aug 7, 2020
Update: i found out I had put it in the white 2.0 port, as the brown 3.0 would simply not fit, as it was too close to the psu.

Update: I noticed this version has a 6 pin PEG, which it doesnt seem like my psu has or supports, so i have to also ask, is it possible to run this card SAFELY without the PEG or will it severely handicap its output/can cause damage to my motherboard?

I will not be overclocking, so this will be run at stock settings.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the top pcie slot (closest to the cpu) is the 3.0 one. that's the one you want to use.

as far as the gpu goes, you NEED the 6-pin for it to work properly and it will not work without it plugged in. not having the connection it needs tells you the psu CAN NOT power the card properly. your solution i a new psu that can power the card or a different card that needs no extra power.

at this time the gtx 1650 is the best card you can get that needs no extra power. if you chose to get a new card be sure it does not need extra power. some of the higher end 1650 cards use a 6-pin as they are overclocked and such and need some extra juice.

ReignOfHell

Commendable
Aug 7, 2020
Ok, i did some poking around looking at the wires i have, and there are 3 2x3 peg and 2 seperate 2x2 wires.

I changed it to the top one, and its hooked up but not powered on yet.

Now, you said the 'top end 1650 super' are overclocked, is the msi 1650 super gaming x one of them?

As i have ZERO interest in overclocking, but if its 'very little overclocking/safe without getting a good cooler' it's fine

Last edited:

ReignOfHell

Commendable
Aug 7, 2020
I appreciate the list, but i made an edit to that previous post, and i found out i do have the peg connector, im just worried i dont have enough cooling in my pc right now to support it.

My pc powered on fine, booted past POST, and is currently in safe mode to install the drivers.

Now, i have 2 small sized fans (one pointing out, one pointing in, on the back of my pc and top of it, and a bigger fan in the front pointing more air in) they are all cooler master brand (not great but it was with it when i got it 2ndhand)

Would this setup be fine with the 1650 superx or would i be better off just getting the 1660 or 1650?

My cores usually run about 55 to 60 at max before (I had Asus optimal overclocking on before, I've switched back to normal since realizing)

And my old 750ti ran about idk 60 at most.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
sorry did not see the update. glad you have the right connection :)

cooling should be fine. the 1650 super only pulls about 100w. i have a 3700x and a 1650 super myself. no issues cooling with basic fans.

the front fan should be drawing air in and the 2 back fans should be pulling air out of the case. hot air rises so those at the top of the back of the case are the ones to be pulling air out. this gives the best airflow.

55-60 is pretty normal. think my 3700x runs about 60 degrees at full gaming load. i'd not worry until it starts hitting into the 70's or higher. anything in the 60's at gaming load is acceptable.

Reactions: ReignOfHell
Solution