Which power supply best for me ? (Also CPU cooler)

frenzyvanrafi

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
In early June, I will to buying new components for my computer. Before I deciding buying new component, I want to buy power supply for new component. Component to be purchased in June bellow are:
- Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3 GHz or Core i5 2400 3.1 GHz
- ASUS P8Z68-V LE or ASUS P8H67-M LX
- Corsair Vengeance 2 x 4GB DDR3 Memory

But I also owning some component which I bought it previously:
- Seagate Barracuda 500 GB Hard Drive
- Samsung DVD-RW Drive
- Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti

Current component:
- Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 2.2 GHz
- ASUS P5KPL-AM SE
- 2 GB DDR2 RAM (will be upgraded to 4 GB)

Which power supply best for me for value ? Are 650 W good enough for me ?

And not forget, I want to buying the aftermarket cooler for my CPU under US$30. Maybe Cooler Master, Thermaltake, XIGMATEK, or Zalman. Which CPU cooler are best for me for my computer?

P.S: Sorry for my bad English, I was too tired for writing it.

Solution

For a system using two GeForce GTX 550 Ti graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

The Corsair Gaming Series GS600 (CMPSU-600G), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 48 Amps and with two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power...
For a system using a single GeForce GTX 550 Ti graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 400 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and that has at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

For a system using two GeForce GTX 550 Ti graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important factor.

As far as Corsair goes the TXV2 line is higher quality then the GS line.
A TX650 V2 is more then enough for GTX 550 Ti SLI.
CM 212+ or EVO cooler.

frenzyvanrafi

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012

You right, but it can handling the aftermarket GPU cooler ? But actually, 650 W was good enough for me

frenzyvanrafi

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
UPDATE: My PSU was damaged after power outage, I want to buy PSU next month. Is Corsair GS600 enough for future SLI upgrade? If not, find power supply which the wattage is 700 W and very affordable price for SLI upgrade.

frenzyvanrafi

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
UPDATE: My PSU was damaged after power outage, I want to buy PSU next month. Is Corsair GS600 enough for future SLI upgrade? If not, find power supply which the wattage is 700 W and very affordable price for SLI upgrade.

The Corsair Gaming Series GS600 (CMPSU-600G), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 48 Amps and with two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is more than sufficient to power your system configuration with two GeForce GTX 550 Ti in 2-way SLI mode.

Solution
The 200W that you saw is cooling capacity not power usage. Cooling capacity means that it can dissipate 200W worth of heat in a set period of time. The only thing that will use power on that cooler is the fan and it will only use 1-2W. To answer your question...yes the GS600 can also handle the upgraded GPU cooler.

frenzyvanrafi

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012

Thanks for explaining me about cooling capacity. Because initially I think cooling capacity is power usage because it has a wattage so I become confused.