Question Which power supply do I need?

Jul 11, 2019
Hey, I am buying a new gaming pc and was wondering which power supply do I need.
x470 aorus ultra gaming
Ryzen 7 2700x
RX 590 8 GB
16Gb (2*8) Vengeance ddr4 2933mhz
win 10
i will not OC
thank you guys

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums!

What resolution would you be playing at? Full-HD or higher? Do you have a monitor?

Here you can see when gaming the peak power usage is around 240-250W so I'd say any solid good-quality 550W would be enough. You can look at 650W units too to have some head room and possible future upgrade which might require more power.

There's mention of even momentary 300W spikes in the same review but even if that happens with your card too with a 105W CPU that's around 400W and a good 550W would cover that.

Another issue you have to keep in mind is the number of 6+2-pin auxiliary PCIE power connectors the card you want t buy needs and choose PSU accordingly, although decent 550-650W units usually come with at least two 6+2-pin connectors.

How much do you plan to spend on the PSU?

Reactions: robsants
Jul 11, 2019
Welcome to the forums!

What resolution would you be playing at? Full-HD or higher? Do you have a monitor?

Here you can see when gaming the peak power usage is around 240-250W so I'd say any solid good-quality 550W would be enough. You can look at 650W units too to have some head room and possible future upgrade which might require more power.

There's mention of even momentary 300W spikes in the same review but even if that happens with your card too with a 105W CPU that's around 400W and a good 550W would cover that.

Another issue you have to keep in mind is the number of 6+2-pin auxiliary PCIE power connectors the card you want t buy needs and choose PSU accordingly, although decent 550-650W units usually come with at least two 6+2-pin connectors.

How much do you plan to spend on the PSU?
I would like to play on high or ultra, I have the LG 25UM58-P ultrawide monitor.
I'm planning to pay around $80

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I was asking about resolutions and such because you said "I am buying a new gaming pc" and I thought you might want suggestions on other components too like graphics card.

Anyway which Rx 590 are you getting? Some of them come with a 6-pin and an 8-pin PCIE aux power connectors and some I think have two 8-pins; so a PSU with two 6+2-pin PCIE connectors would be enough.

As far as 550W PSUs go it can not really get better than this:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/bk...fied-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-550fx

It's $83 but I think it's worth it.

TRENDING THREADS