[SOLVED] Which power supply should I get for future-proofing?

SafetyPotato

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2014
I plan on starting a new build with a Ryzen 5900x and rtx 3080. I also plan on doing a few GPU upgrades in the future and perhaps some overclocking. I've heard that power supplies run more efficiently and quieter the higher ratio of power draw to maximum wattage is. Is this true? I was thinking about getting an 850w power supply, but would it be a better idea to get a 1000w or a 1200w power supply if I want to future proof and ensure that my power supply isn't stressed by higher loads?

Solution
There is no 'future-proofing'. Everything is dying right from the day it is created; it's just a matter of time.
Anything above 850w is rather useless except for maybe some extreme use cases or overclocking. No GPU's come close to needing that much power.
I would suggest looking at 850w tier 1 PSU with 10yr warranties. Evga, Superflower, Corsair RM, etc, ... that's as close as you'll get.

popatim

Titan
There is no 'future-proofing'. Everything is dying right from the day it is created; it's just a matter of time.
Anything above 850w is rather useless except for maybe some extreme use cases or overclocking. No GPU's come close to needing that much power.
I would suggest looking at 850w tier 1 PSU with 10yr warranties. Evga, Superflower, Corsair RM, etc, ... that's as close as you'll get.

Solution