Which power supply should i get?

speedlingz

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
since my current psu just burned out.which one should i get as a replacement? the psu was an OCZ stealthxstream 600
my comp stats are : GA P35 DS3L motherboard with 2 GIG A-data ram...e2160 dual core cpu with a XFX video card (forgot which one but it was one of the overclocked XXX version)

Do you know why the OCZ PSU burned? If you do, and it is something to fix, best to take care of that first, before you just put in another PSU.
Once you're confident another one won't simply get shorted out when you plug it in, something like an Antec Earthwatts 500W PSU would be good. Something smaller may work, but without knowing what your video card is, I can't tell.

speedlingz

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
i think it burned out because sometimes the power supply cord is always loose... and a little nudge or shake can cause the comp to turn on and off becuase of the loose card.....it happened a bunch of time and this time i guess it just burned out from the continuous on and off pluggin of the cords? that's what i think.....and maybe the power supply burned out because my cpu was overclocked and it couldn't handle it anymore? the power supply was hot everytime i touched it

Oh, well unless you plan a video card upgrade to a 4850 or better, you could run your rig on an Antec Earthwatts 380.
Still, I'd also trust the one IH8U linked, even though it is the bottom of their line.

speedlingz

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
well right now when i really plug the loose wire in..which i have to hold in place..the computer powers on...but i do not the BEEP sound when it starts up and i see no light on the motherboard...could it be the harddrive?the cpu fan is working...case fan is working....and graphic card fan is working......wat could it be?! and i see see the 3 lights blink on the keyboard when it powers on......

If your power supply power on, your power supply is ok. Most of the time it`s a motherboard problem. Also, if your power supply was the problem, the other hardwares would also been armed.

First off, change your power cable to another one to see if the problem is not your power cable instead of your power supply. It happened for me in the past with my OCZ power supply, it was the cable comming with it that was doing the exact same thing.

Second trouble shooting, take your battery off your motherboard. If your motherboard doesn't post, it could be the problem... if you get no screen only...

If you got a video output, the problem is elsewhere... check your IDE or SATA cable from your hard drive.

If it's not the problem, check your hard drive in another computer. If you can access it, check your motherboard manual and analyse your beeb code to know what doesn't work.

speedlingz

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
ok guys....i thought the power supply was dead..but after adjusting the plug a little bit...it turned on....but the computer keeps on turning on...then off...on then off...it woulda go about this process for about couple minutes...then it will power up....one thing is that even when the comp is not powered on...my usb dvd drive and usb controlller still lights up and has power...what could this be?

speedlingz

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007

anyone? i need help