Question Which power supply would be compatible

Jul 23, 2019
Hi all, I was given an old gaming pc which is missing a power supply and hard drive. I wanted to get this up and running for my 12 year old son. However i am confused as to what power supply i would need.

It has two XFXRadeon HD 6950’s vga’s that need to be powered. These have two six pin connections but some power supplies i have seen have 8 pin connections for vga but also have 2 x 6 pin for peripheral. Can these be used for the vga cards?

The motherboard is an ASUS M4A89TD pro/usb3 and the person who gave it tome told me it had an AMD processor but i can’t remember the speed of this.
Any recommendations for a power supply would be kindly welcomed.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
PCIE power cables are only for the graphics cards; there's no connection that can be used for both GPUs and the various peripherals, so I'm not sure what you're referring to.

In any case, you need four actual PCIE 6-pin connectors if each card requires two of them. They will be found in the form of the larger parts of the 6+2 pin connectors.

Pricey for such an old system, but you need the proper amount of connectors and in a Crossfire/SLI situation, you don't want to skimp on PSU quality.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: BitFenix Whisper M 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($98.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $98.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-23 10:40 EDT-0400

One note of warning: multi-GPU solutions are pretty terrible nowadays as support has been fading in recent years.

Reactions: Holykimura
Jul 23, 2019
Many thanks I really appreciate the advice, sorry if the post was a little confusing, i am a complete novice to building gaming pc’s. The last time i was inside a pc was way back in 2007...things look so different now lol.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Many thanks I really appreciate the advice, sorry if the post was a little confusing, i am a complete novice to building gaming pc’s. The last time i was inside a pc was way back in 2007...things look so different now lol.

I just wanted to make sure you were clear; putting the wrong power cord into the wrong port can be a very expensive mishap, so it's good to be precise!

Reactions: Holykimura