Question Which Pre-built PC Should I Get For Gaming/Adobe Illustrator ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 17, 2022
Hello everyone!

I’m new to higher end gaming PCs and usually my brother or husband picks out stuff for me. I’m looking to get a prebuilt for art/AI editing and some video gaming (RPGs, Overwatch, Genshin Impact, etc). I would build it myself but 1. No time 2. Arthritis/unsteady hands 3. Husband had to switch his case due to heat issues and despised every minute of it so has no interest in building from scratch even for me lol

The systems I’m considering are:

ASUS ROG Strix GA35 $1,800
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB GDDR6X; 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM; 2TB SSD+1TB HDD
https://www.microcenter.com/product/649997/asus-rog-strix-ga35-gaming-pc-platinum-collection

Powerspec G440 $1,700
Intel Core i7 12th Gen 12700KF 2.7GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070Ti 8GB GDDR6X; 32GB DDR5-4800 RAM; 1TB Solid State Drive
https://www.microcenter.com/product/648681/powerspec-g440-gaming-pc

Corsair VENGEANCE i7300 $2,400
i9-12900k, RTX 3080 10GB, 32GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 2TB NVMe
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...ries-Gaming-PC/p/CS-9050027-NA#tab-tech-specs

The first two are pretty close in price due to them being open boxes, the Corsair is definitely quite a bit more but not an open box. I wasn’t looking to spend that much but if it’ll give me a better setup that will remain relevant longer I would be interested. All three have water cooling.

It’s been 6+ years since my last computer and it was a gaming laptop so anything is going to be miles above it. My husband is leaning towards the DDR5 in general since he thinks it’ll give more frames in OW which he would love, but I‘m unsure if his love of frames in Overwatch is clouding his senses :ROFLMAO:

Mostly curious what everyone thinks is the better deal/the most future proof.

TLDR specs are:
ASUS ROG Strix GA35 (rtx3080) $1,800 (open box)

Powerspec G440 (rtx3070ti + DDR5-4800) $1,700 (open box)

Corsair VENGEANCE i7300 (3080 + DDR5-4800) $2,400

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
TLDR you also have three different processors.

Ryzen 5800X 8 'performance' cores (16 threads), overclockable, no integrated graphics
12700KF is 8 performance cores and 4 efficiency cores (20 threads), overclockable, no integrated graphics
12900K is 8 performance cores and 8 efficiency cores (24 threads), overclockable, with integrated graphics (Though it looks like the Corsair is also available with the 12700K, so that might be a little cheaper)

They all have appropriate motherboards, which is nice.

I do not like the 750W PSU paired with the RTX 3080 in the ASUS build, 850W is where I would draw the line with a 3080.

I would say that work in the Adobe suite will benefit from DDR5 4800. Gaming not so much. Game engines have been designed around dual channel DDR4 memory for a while, DDR5 with its dual ranks and higher bandwidth produces a similar effect. Most testing has shown that after a certain speed the gains are minimal, going to be a few years yet before that makes a difference. Particularly with an older title like Overwatch.

Either GPU is going to be more than enough for gaming.

KyaraM

Admirable

Ryzen 5800X 8 'performance' cores (16 threads), overclockable, no integrated graphics
12700KF is 8 performance cores and 4 efficiency cores (20 threads), overclockable, no integrated graphics
12900K is 8 performance cores and 8 efficiency cores (24 threads), overclockable, with integrated graphics (Though it looks like the Corsair is also available with the 12700K, so that might be a little cheaper)

I do not like the 750W PSU paired with the RTX 3080 in the ASUS build, 850W is where I would draw the line with a 3080.

I would say that work in the Adobe suite will benefit from DDR5 4800. Gaming not so much. Game engines have been designed around dual channel DDR4 memory for a while, DDR5 with its dual ranks and higher bandwidth produces a similar effect. Most testing has shown that after a certain speed the gains are minimal, going to be a few years yet before that makes a difference. Particularly with an older title like Overwatch.

I second this. Personally I would go with the Corsair build below, even if you don't like the price as much. See what the version with the 12700K costs. I'm also rather weary about open box offers... maybe I'm just too jaded, but I always think there is a reason that thing was sent back...

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Sep 17, 2022

They ended up going down on the price of the Powerspec so much I couldn’t pass it up especially after reading horror stories about the Corsair. Thanks so much for the information!! Will look into things more for the next time we buy a PC.

Sep 17, 2022
I second this. Personally I would go with the Corsair build below, even if you don't like the price as much. See what the version with the 12700K costs. I'm also rather weary about open box offers... maybe I'm just too jaded, but I always think there is a reason that thing was sent back...

Yeah I was pretty nervous about it myself, but they ended up lowering the price even further so I went in to check it out. The people who bought it only had it for a week, not a floor model thank god. My brother and I looked it over, had them power it on, etc. Ended up getting it and figured if I spotted anything odd would take it back.

I did have one issue with the monitor not connecting properly on boot but I looked into it and messed with stuff for a bit. Seems to be fixed now, runs beautifully. Funny part is I just realized our previous Powerspec had a similar issue which my husband nearly lost his mind over (and was tempted to return it lol) but finally fixed permanently. We assumed that was why the original owners of it returned it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.