Oct 20, 2021
Hello! I have two prebuilt computers i'm looking at. Parting them out on PCpartpicker is more expensive due to everything being out of stock or overpriced.. Is it more worth having a 10600k with a 3070 ti? or a 3070 with an 11700f. I plan on using it for 1440p , the one thing I noticed when I looked it up on Youtube is that the 6-core processor's CPU usage goes up to 80%, but it is a 3070 ti, can I get some help? The 3070 ti is very tempting but im not sure which one is better for the money. It looks like the sale is larger for the computer with the 3070 ti so it is a better discount, but still it's paired with the 6-core. Thanks!

https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali545/p/N82E16883360165?Description=10600k 3070 ti&cm_re=10600k_3070 ti--83-360-165--Product

https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali581/p/N82E16883360216?Description=3070 11700f&cm_re=3070_11700f--83-360-216--Product

Solution
They don't 'start performing bad after awhile'. I'm referring to VRM power throttling. Some of the cheaper boards don't handle the higher power cpu's well.

Let's use the 11700 for example. If I remember correctly, it has an all core turbo of 4.5ghz. The fewer cores are active, the higher that turbo boost is - up to 4.9ghz on a single core.
Let's say we installed it in a Msi B560 Tomahawk. It boost to 4.5ghz across all cores, without a hitch. Even if we go into bios and disable all power saving to make it run like that all the time, the board still doesn't complain.
Now, what if it were a Msi B560M Pro instead?
Instead of boosting to 4.5ghz across all cores, it does 4.3ghz. Well that's not right. Let's try removing the power saving...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hello! I have two prebuilt computers i'm looking at. Parting them out on PCpartpicker is more expensive due to everything being out of stock or overpriced.. Is it more worth having a 10600k with a 3070 ti? or a 3070 with an 11700f. I plan on using it for 1440p , the one thing I noticed when I looked it up on Youtube is that the 6-core processor's CPU usage goes up to 80%, but it is a 3070 ti, can I get some help? The 3070 ti is very tempting but im not sure which one is better for the money. It looks like the sale is larger for the computer with the 3070 ti so it is a better discount, but still it's paired with the 6-core. Thanks!

https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali545/p/N82E16883360165?Description=10600k 3070 ti&cm_re=10600k_3070 ti--83-360-165--Product

https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali581/p/N82E16883360216?Description=3070 11700f&cm_re=3070_11700f--83-360-216--Product
Depends on the games and the monitor resolution.

For a 1080p monitor I would probably get the 11700F for the more cores and the RTX 3070 is plenty of video card.

1440p monitor I might consider the other.

Reactions: Why_Me

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Youtube is that the 6-core processor's CPU usage goes up to 80%
Bloody Youtube strikes again.
It's inaccurate and incorrect to look at whole cpu usage. If each individual core wasn't monitored, then it was done wrong.
Many titles are still bound by a single core/thread which handles every single command off the game code. If this is maxed out, or close to it, that's it.
Doesn't matter if the cpu has 12, 16, 24 threads, etc, when fps is determined by a single one of them.

Sucks that the one I think is the better combo is the one that potentially has worse airflow...

Oct 20, 2021
Bloody Youtube strikes again.
It's inaccurate and incorrect to look at whole cpu usage. If each individual core wasn't monitored, then it was done wrong.
Many titles are still bound by a single core/thread which handles every single command off the game code. If this is maxed out, or close to it, that's it.
Doesn't matter if the cpu has 12, 16, 24 threads, etc, when fps is determined by a single one of them.

Sucks that the one I think is the better combo is the one that potentially has worse airflow...

I assume that's the one with the stock cooler? Im still trying to think and make a decision. Thanks for the info though, I'll keep that in mind

Oct 20, 2021
Depends on the games and the monitor resolution.

For a 1080p monitor I would probably get the 11700F for the more cores and the RTX 3070 is plenty of video card.

1440p monitor I might consider the other.

Thanks for the info, Im going to be doing 1440p, and I play games from League of Legends to Overwatch, Red Dead 2, Im going to be getting Elden Ring, so I still need strong performance

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I assume that's the one with the stock cooler?
Uh? That's not a stock cooler. It's rather vague with 'RGB Cpu Cooler', but it's not quite as vague as 'Air Cooler' on the other one.
The images don't always reflect the parts you actually get either. That said:
-RGB Cpu Cooler looks like Deepcool's Gammaxx GT V2.
-Air Cooler looks like Cooler Master's A71C/i71C.
The downdraft cooler on the 11700... IDK what they were thinking - that is not a good pairing. Tower air cooler > downdraft cooler, except for the big ones like Dark Rock TF/2 and Big Shuriken 3.
Downdrafts are ok with light stuff, but most are not adequate for gaming loads; they don't have a very high thermal capacity for it and there's just too much heat going around during those kinds of loads.

Oct 20, 2021
Uh? That's not a stock cooler. It's rather vague with 'RGB Cpu Cooler', but it's not quite as vague as 'Air Cooler' on the other one.
The images don't always reflect the parts you actually get either. That said:
-RGB Cpu Cooler looks like Deepcool's Gammaxx GT V2.
-Air Cooler looks like Cooler Master's A71C/i71C.
The downdraft cooler on the 11700... IDK what they were thinking - that is not a good pairing. Tower air cooler > downdraft cooler, except for the big ones like Dark Rock TF/2 and Big Shuriken 3.
Downdrafts are ok with light stuff, but most are not adequate for gaming loads; they don't have a very high thermal capacity for it and there's just too much heat going around during those kinds of loads.

Got it!

Check this one out that I found

https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali547/p/N82E16883360167?Item=N82E16883360167

I really like the parts in here, it is a 10th gen CPU though, but the GPU looks outstanding, but I am skeptical about the watercooling loop. Are they generally safe? And are leaks rare? Thank you for your replies man

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
When you said watercooling loop, I was expecting to see a custom loop, but it's just a 120mm AIO.

Believe it or not, but that cooler's actually worse than the Gammaxx GT V2 in it.

This is a flag, but neither of the i7 builds state exactly what the motherboard is. It's a potential problem because some of the cheaper B460 and B560 can't handle the full power of the i7 for very long.

Reactions: Why_Me
Oct 20, 2021
When you said watercooling loop, I was expecting to see a custom loop, but it's just a 120mm AIO.

Believe it or not, but that cooler's actually worse than the Gammaxx GT V2 in it.

This is a flag, but neither of the i7 builds state exactly what the motherboard is. It's a potential problem because some of the cheaper B460 and B560 can't handle the full power of the i7 for very long.

Dang so the motherboards will just start performing bad after awhile..? what a shame, im stuck on what to pick haha. The one with the 10600k has a Z490 board in it. I wonder if that's better.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
They don't 'start performing bad after awhile'. I'm referring to VRM power throttling. Some of the cheaper boards don't handle the higher power cpu's well.

Let's use the 11700 for example. If I remember correctly, it has an all core turbo of 4.5ghz. The fewer cores are active, the higher that turbo boost is - up to 4.9ghz on a single core.
Let's say we installed it in a Msi B560 Tomahawk. It boost to 4.5ghz across all cores, without a hitch. Even if we go into bios and disable all power saving to make it run like that all the time, the board still doesn't complain.
Instead of boosting to 4.5ghz across all cores, it does 4.3ghz. Well that's not right. Let's try removing the power saving... huh, it's even worse at 4.1ghz...
It's something like that.

The i5 is less likely to trigger this simply due to having lower power draw overall, but in the case of these prebuilts, the i5 is paired with a Z-series board(they tend to be more robust), so it's a non-issue anyway.

Solution
Oct 20, 2021

Instead of boosting to 4.5ghz across all cores, it does 4.3ghz. Well that's not right. Let's try removing the power saving... huh, it's even worse at 4.1ghz...
It's something like that.

The i5 is less likely to trigger this simply due to having lower power draw overall, but in the case of these prebuilts, the i5 is paired with a Z-series board(they tend to be more robust), so it's a non-issue anyway.

Wow, you make good points..

Do you think 6 cores is enough for gaming without getting 100% usage then? That was my worry. And tbh with that board i should be able to boost clock the i5 with that CPU cooler and board with no issues also, so that may be a plus