[SOLVED] Which processor architecture is faster: i7-9850H w/ 16GB RAM w/ Nvidia MX150 graphics OR i7-10850H w/ 32GB RAM w/ onboard graphics

caliskier

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2012
I am trying to determine what factors would determine overall performance when processors are in the following configurations. The question is, which one will perform faster and will I notice the difference.

Option 1: i7-9850H w/ 16GB RAM and Nvidia MX150 graphics
Option 2: i7-10850H w/ 32GB RAM and onboard graphics

Both have 512GB SSD NVMe drives

My goal is 90% business. I make elaborate macro and conditional formatting laced excel spreadsheets Where the processes will slow down when the calculations get extensive

My question is, do I gain something having a separate graphics card but a slightly older processor? The goal is faster performance. In my mind the 32GB vs the 16GB of RAM is not going to help me much, RAM just allows you to have more things open. RAM lets me be lazy. Is that ignorant?

Here is a link to a site that compares the two processors. The 10850H is slightly faster, but does the MX150 graphics card more than make up for it, and is the 32MB of Ram a factor at all?
https://nanoreview.net/en/cpu-compare/intel-core-i7-9750h-vs-intel-core-i7-10850h

Please tell me which one will appear faster to me, and will I really notice a difference.

Thank you in advance

Solution
If you buy it (another single ram stick) yourself you run the risk of having two single channel ram sticks. So you'd still be running in single channel mode. This happened to me when I was upgrading our two identical older laptops we use for business. Upgraded to SSD's as well from crucials web store.

I ordered a pair of new ram sticks for my laptop, used the new pair in mine, it's running dual channel. I used the old stick from mine to upgrade the other laptop, same single 8gb stick that's in the other laptop. It's running 16gb now (only had 8 before) but it's in single channel mode still.

So to guarantee best performance you're going to want to buy a 2 stick 32gb set if you're upgrading to 32gb to guarantee dual channel mode.
My experience of heavy Excel spreadsheets is you want 32GB RAM. With 16GB you soon start caching to the main drive and that really slows thing down. Also those 2 CPU’s are very closely matched. A laptop with good cooling and 9750h could outperform a laptop with poor cooling and a 10750h. It’s difficult to compare laptops on specs alone, you really need to look at detailed reviews as cooling can make a big difference to performance. Also you want to ensure it has dual channel RAM and not single.

caliskier

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2012
My experience of heavy Excel spreadsheets is you want 32GB RAM. With 16GB you soon start caching to the main drive and that really slows thing down. Also those 2 CPU’s are very closely matched. A laptop with good cooling and 9750h could outperform a laptop with poor cooling and a 10750h. It’s difficult to compare laptops on specs alone, you really need to look at detailed reviews as cooling can make a big difference to performance. Also you want to ensure it has dual channel RAM and not single.

Hey thanks for the input, and the cooling thoughts.

Under the Memory information the 32GB machine it says "Memory Channel Mode - Dual" Whereas option 1, the 16GB system says Memory Channel Mode - Single. I assume that was what you are talking about?

What is the importance of dual vs single?

Hey thanks for the input, and the cooling thoughts.

Under the Memory information the 32GB machine it says "Memory Channel Mode - Dual" Whereas option 1, the 16GB system says Memory Channel Mode - Single. I assume that was what you are talking about?

What is the importance of dual vs single?
Dual channel has double the bandwidth. It does not double performance but has a significant impact on cpu demanding activities. Its common for laptop's to come with the cheaper single channel (single stick) instead of the more expensive but better dual channel (two sticks).

caliskier

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2012
Ok, thank you, now the other half of the equation.

Option 1: i7-9850H w/ 16GB RAM single channel and Nvidia MX150 graphics - $1000 + 4 year Dell warranty
Option 2: i7-10850H w/ 32GB RAM dual channel and onboard graphics - $1250 + 2.5 year Dell warranty

caliskier

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2012
Can you get the 1st option upgraded to 32GB RAM dual channel (2x16gb)?
Yes, that is possible, I would have to buy it myself at $150. I actually already have Option 2 sitting in a box unopened, was delivered yesterday. I saw option 1 on Friday. Option 2 is a much more reputable company on ebay 5000 star seller 100%, returns accepted. Option one is just a 50 item seller, no returns accepted. Its almost a toss up in my mind, the warranty is better on option 1.

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
If you buy it (another single ram stick) yourself you run the risk of having two single channel ram sticks. So you'd still be running in single channel mode. This happened to me when I was upgrading our two identical older laptops we use for business. Upgraded to SSD's as well from crucials web store.

I ordered a pair of new ram sticks for my laptop, used the new pair in mine, it's running dual channel. I used the old stick from mine to upgrade the other laptop, same single 8gb stick that's in the other laptop. It's running 16gb now (only had 8 before) but it's in single channel mode still.

So to guarantee best performance you're going to want to buy a 2 stick 32gb set if you're upgrading to 32gb to guarantee dual channel mode.

Solution

caliskier

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2012

Thanks Kona, so now we are looking at $100 difference, plus option 2 came with a new docking station which is $50 or so used. So now, really, $50 more for option 2 if I buy the RAM, but with a shorter warranty and no graphics card, but returns accepted

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
I wouldn't sweat the warranty, I'd go with overall performance & value. We've had these laptops going on 8 years, used daily, all day. Both are still working 100% aside from having to replace the fans in both last year, which was about $15 for both.

They don't have terribly easy lives either, both run Skype for 8 hours daily so the poor things run 85% cpu usage all day long. Honestly they have been great, both HP. The ram & especially the upgrade to SSD's have extended their lives considerably.