Which processor is more powerful

Franicelcha

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
Hi

Is there much difference in term of performance between a AMD Phenom II X4 955 processor and a AMD Athlon 64 x 2 7750

Which am I better with (I know nothing about AMD processors ?

Thanks

Gunmetal_61

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014
The Phenom will definitely be faster. The x4 notation shows that it has 4 cores. This particular Athlon, with the x2 classification, has only two. Already theoretically twice the performance right there without looking at other stuff.

However, there are other models of AMD CPUs that are better. Some more modern ones would include the FX-4300 (four core), FX-6300/6530 (six core), and FX-8320/8350 (eight core), but they do require more advanced motherboards despite using the same socket. I'm not sure if new Athlons or Phenoms have been released in the past two years, but the FX series offers the same thing. Could you please tell us a little more about your situation and setup?

Franicelcha

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010

It is for my brother. He's got a Asus M2N68-AM SE2 with 4Gb of DDR2 ram (Maximum). I loaned him a core 2 duo E6800 with 8 GB of ram and he's crazy about it.

I was thinking about giving a boost to his machine without him having to incur too much additional cost.

He's got Windows 7 home premium OEM (some family edition I believe) so I do not think he could use this windows on another machine with a different mobo although his is old. He could not use more memory being maxed out at 4GB.

Thanks for caring