Which Processor Should I Buy?

Wasneepluz

Prominent
Apr 24, 2017
Hello. I am building my first pc and I was first going to use the amd fx 9590 wich I bought but it didn't really work out, so I asked for my money back. Now my question is if I should buy the AMD FX-8350. I already have a mobo for amd3+ cpus so I could just put in a fx 8350 if I buy it. I was also thinking of buying an Intel Pentium G4560, but for that I would need to buy a new mobo and ram. So right now I'm not sure what processor I should buy.

Mobo: Gigabyte mATX Moederbord GA-78LMT-USB3

By the way, I am using a matx case so I would rather stick to a matx mobo

Solution
Agree with others, today in 2017 the AM3 platform is completley end of life and you should not dump any more money into it.

$180 on a G4560 + B250 mothebroard + 8GB DDR4 memory will beat the 8350 in most all tasks because the IPC is that much better/more effecient.

I am glad you were able to get your money back on the 9550. The entire 9xxx line was just awfull. Even after you upgraded the cooling and had one the very select few motherboards that could properly support it, it did very little to add performance. End result is a cpu that is more expensive, uses way more electricity and heat and still could not beat out an i5 in single core performance.

Jwpanz

Honorable
If you don't want to ditch your current AM3+ motherboard then I would say go for the 8350 or an 8370. However, that platform is dated and consistently under-performs as time goes on.

If I were you, I would sell my motherboard on eBay or something and invest in either a new Ryzen or Kaby Lake system. Ryzen 5 1500's are a good route to take or you could go for the G4560. It's smarter to invest in current tech so as to not become obsolete in the near future.

Agree with others, today in 2017 the AM3 platform is completley end of life and you should not dump any more money into it.

$180 on a G4560 + B250 mothebroard + 8GB DDR4 memory will beat the 8350 in most all tasks because the IPC is that much better/more effecient.

I am glad you were able to get your money back on the 9550. The entire 9xxx line was just awfull. Even after you upgraded the cooling and had one the very select few motherboards that could properly support it, it did very little to add performance. End result is a cpu that is more expensive, uses way more electricity and heat and still could not beat out an i5 in single core performance.

Solution