Which processor will do better in gaming+ any bottlenecks?

mahin1islam

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
FX 8150, FX 4170, I3 2100. from best to worst, how good is each processor in gaming? i heard that each of the processors had its share of negatives. i heard the i3 is only dual core, which makes it perform bad in battlefield multiplayer and everything. i also heard the FX 8150 is octacore and 4170 is quad, but 4170 has a much higher clock speed, making it better in gaming. im just trying to see how the FX series fits in with all the cpus in terms of gaming.

also, if i paired each of those with an HD 7950 or gtx 680, would any bottleneck occur?

side note. this is purely theoretical, and for future reference. i am not currently planning on building a rig based on the fx series. yes, i take overclocking into consideration. please answer each question completely. please no fanboys.

thank you very much for helping this poor guy out :)

Solution
No, since they share the same architecture most low-thread games will do better on the higher-clocked 4170 according to Tom's chart. But as you know there are many different games. Tom's gives you a nice comparison chart specific for gaming: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html

Edit: And as far as the i3 goes, Tom's favors it above the others at least for now. As more games come out that actually need more cores we'll see dual cores finally laid to rest as far as gaming.

mahin1islam

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011

i know that the fx 8150 doest stand a chance against i5. this is purely theoretical, as stated above. im not planning on buying these. im actually trying to see which intel cpu is the equivalent of fx 8150. you mentioned that the 4170 will bottleneck and the 8150 will not. how? 4170 has a higher clock speed and the expense of core count, and i have heard that games dont really need more than 4 cores. wouldnt that make the fx quadcore better than the octacore for gaming? also, which intel cpu would be equal to the fx in terms of gaming?

larkspur

Distinguished
No, since they share the same architecture most low-thread games will do better on the higher-clocked 4170 according to Tom's chart. But as you know there are many different games. Tom's gives you a nice comparison chart specific for gaming: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html

Edit: And as far as the i3 goes, Tom's favors it above the others at least for now. As more games come out that actually need more cores we'll see dual cores finally laid to rest as far as gaming.

Solution

erunion

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011

i3 is probably the best, with FX 4170 second, FX8xxx last.

As larkspur pointed out, the FX 4710 is the highest clocked FX chip(4.2ghz), which gives it an advantage in gaming compared to other FX chips.

Again we are trying to attach a metric to performance, Noob2222 uses a FX 8120 (Graphics card I can't remember) and he is getting extremely high FPS in games like BF3, so ultimately it is down to the end users perception of good enough.

A hard core gamer can practically get away with a FX 8150/20 and Single or Dual GTX680/HD 7970 setups with rather no noticable difference other than in the wallet. If you are a synthetic benchmarker/Overclocker then there is a fundamental difference in going with Intel over AMD.

All in all of the chips listed, the i3 is probably the best gamer or tie with the higher end FX chips, for general usage the FX 8120 at the near $160 mark represents greater value for money where you delve outside of the single thread performance area. Considering the future of computing is not in single threaded app if you are budgeting to last the FX 8XXX will outlast the i3 dual core, in multithreaded performance despite the low IPC a 8150 hangs tough with intels nigh on $400 i7's so again its down to what you need a rig for.

Gaming: i3 over a FX 6100/4170
General: FX 8120 over the more expensive 8150

To split the middle ground the i5 is probably the best option.

mahin1islam

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
okay, so regardless of what the benchies say, the fx 4170 will do better in gaming than the fx 8150 because it has a higher stock peed, and 8 cores arent used in gaming, right? so i shouldnt listen to the benchies? cause about all the benchies show the octacore fx beating both the quad core and the i3 2100.

opevt

Honorable
May 29, 2012
The FX8150 look like is very good