Which PSU fits me best?

mr_goatman

Honorable
Dec 4, 2017
Hello,

I am about to purchase a new PSU for my current build.

I need a crash course on what's what and what's better than the other like Bronze / Gold meaning.

I'm thinking brands maybe EVGA or Corsair. EVGA has some high reviews on newegg.

Which WATT will be best? I'm thinking about a 750W so when I upgrade a better GPU later I'll have no worries.

Specs:
i7-7700k
Z270 Gaming M7 (MSI)
GTX 1050ti
1tb HDD
AIO Water Cooler 280mm

Solution
You could easily run those current specs on a 450w unit. What kind of future GPU upgrade did you have in mind? For a single gpu setup a good 650w unit is usually more than enough.
Here's 4 really good PSUs
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/y88H99,WrNypg,64cMnQ,yc38TW/

bignastyid

Titan

System specs and a budget would be helpful. There are few PSU's where you can go by name alone. While EVGA and Corsair have slapped their brand(neither one actually makes PSUs) on some good PSUs they have also done the same to a few poor ones.

There are plenty of users here that are more than capable of answering PSU questions.

bignastyid

Titan
The bronze and gold specs you see are efficiency ratings. Efficiency is the measure of how much power the PSU pulls from the wall vs how much is actually used by the system. More about the 80 plus rating can be found here.

There is also modular, semi-modular and non modular.

Modular- All the psu cables are socketed so that you can only plug in the cables you need which makes cable management easier aswell as making using custom cables(still have to be psu specific) easier. Con- fully modualr costs more.

Semi-Modular - Most of the cables are socketed like a modular PSU but some(usually just the 24 pin and cpu power connector) are wired to the psu.

Non-Modular(also called fully wired)- All the cables are wired directly to the psu so for cable management you get to hide all the cables you don't use. These units usually cost less.

bignastyid

Titan
You could easily run those current specs on a 450w unit. What kind of future GPU upgrade did you have in mind? For a single gpu setup a good 650w unit is usually more than enough.
Here's 4 really good PSUs
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/y88H99,WrNypg,64cMnQ,yc38TW/

Solution

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Some truly excellent choices offered here! Well done.

mr_goatman

Honorable
Dec 4, 2017
@Big

Thank you for shedding some light on the PSU. For now I'm probably going to use a GTX 1050ti and much later in the future upgrade to a GTX 1080ti.

I don't see a need to use two GPU's unless I'm doing some hardcore recording and video editing.

mr_goatman

Honorable
Dec 4, 2017

Awesome! I'm eyeing the first PSU on your list by EVGA. The comments on Newegg look great! And its cheaper than what I was original looking at! Thanks a lot!

bignastyid

Titan

Honestly the customer reviews on sites like Newegg and Amazon are almost worthless. There are PSUs that are absolute junk(raidmax, apevia, etc) that have good reviews on those sites even though the PSUs are known system killers.

Don't get me wrong the G3 is a good PSU(if it wasn't it wouldn't have made the list) but the Seasonic Focus Platinum would be my choice if I was going to drop that much on a PSU. It has the higher efficiency rating plus it has a 10Yr warranty VS the G3's 7yr warranty. I could swear the G3 was cheaper(close to the focus gold) when I made the list because at its current price of $108 I would not recommend it over the $84 Focus Gold.

mr_goatman

Honorable
Dec 4, 2017

On Amazon it selling for $94 which isn't terrible.

I'll keep looking though.

mr_goatman

Honorable
Dec 4, 2017

I think Newegg is selling for more than $100. Would you recommend the one next on the list?

Seasonic 650 w gold , on Amazon for $89.

Or just go platinum lol.

bignastyid

Titan

You can't go wrong with any of them all are great units. It just depends on what you feel comfortable spending.. I like to carry a good PSU through a few builds so a longer warranty is a big plus for me, so i'd go for one of the Seasonics. My Corsair AXi is in it's 2nd system and will likely see a 3rd one soon.

mr_goatman

Honorable
Dec 4, 2017

Hmm alright cool, I'll sleep on it and see how I feel. I've already spent a good chunk of cash on components already.