[SOLVED] WHICH PSU GOOD FOR MY BUDGET BUILD.

renzoken84

Reputable
Mar 5, 2016
Hello Tom hardware and hello guys I need guidance from u guys plss 🙏🙏🙏

Okay lately I was post all about OEM brand.
I'm sick of OEM thing... it concerns me after I get some advise from my friend not to use OEM product... now I change my mind n want to build a budget gaming PC.

CASE. : NORMAL MATX CASE
MOBO : GIGABYTE H310M S2 R2.0
CPU. : i3 9100F
HDD. : WD 1 Tera
RAM. : KINGSTON DDR4 8GB(1PCS)
GPU. : ASUS GTX 1650 4GB OC
SSD. : NO NEED AT THE MOMENT.

PSU. : I Need cooler master PSU can u guys
Suggest me how much watt should be
okay for my budget build? I'm not
taking modular/Semi type cause me
too expensive. I appreciate any
suggestions thnx guys (English bad)

Last edited:
That's a pretty random thing to recommend. There are crap CM PSUs such as the masterwatt lite and super duper good PSUs like the V Platinum. Don't stick to one brand, and don't stick to wattages and efficiency ratings. The best thing is just to list the available PSUs in your country and within your budget (usually by posting a link to your favourite site), and I will pick the best one for you.

Reactions: renzoken84
That's a pretty random thing to recommend. There are crap CM PSUs such as the masterwatt lite and super duper good PSUs like the V Platinum. Don't stick to one brand, and don't stick to wattages and efficiency ratings. The best thing is just to list the available PSUs in your country and within your budget (usually by posting a link to your favourite site), and I will pick the best one for you.
I cant really recommend him a specific one which he may or may not ever find. He wanted to know what wattage fits his requirements so I gave him the answer.

The wattage you need is mainly determined by the graphics card you will use.
A GTX1650 needs about a 400w psu.
Here is a chart for other options:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say 20%.
Perhaps more since your cpu is capable of gaming with a much stronger graphics card.
It will allow for a stronger future graphics card upgrade.
It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.

As to brand, quality counts.
DO NOT buy a cheap psu.
A cheap PSU will be made of substandard components. It will not have safety and overload protections.
The danger is if it fails under load, it can destroy anything it is connected to.
It will deliver advertised power only at room temperatures, not at higher temperatures found when installed in a case.
The wattage will be delivered on the 3 and 5v rails, not on the 12v rails where modern parts
like the CPU and Graphics cards need it. What power is delivered may fluctuate and cause instability
issues that are hard to diagnose.
The fan will need to spin up higher to cool it, making it noisy.
A cheap PSU can become very expensive.

Do not buy one.
Buy no less than a tier 3 unit from a list such as this:
If you must buy by brand, pick Seasonic, their units are at least decent.

Unless your electricity costs are exorbitant, do not make decisions on efficiency like 80+ or gold rating.
Even cheap units can advertise those.

I will never again build without a ssd for the "C" drive. It makes everything you do much quicker.
240gb is minimum, it will hold the os and a handful of games.

If you can go 500gb you may never need a hard drive.
With ssd prices down, even 1tb is reasonable.

You can defer on the hard drive unless you need to store large files such as video's.
It is easy to add a hard drive later.

On ram, there are considerations.
Many will, in time want more than 8gb.
Your single 8gb stick will run in slower single channel mode.
Adding another 8gb in the future is likely to work, but is not 100% certain. More like 95%
Consider that it might be better to buy a 2 x 8gb kit up front.

renzoken84

Reputable
Mar 5, 2016
Perhaps more since your cpu is capable of gaming with a much stronger graphics card.
It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.

DO NOT buy a cheap psu.
A cheap PSU will be made of substandard components. It will not have safety and overload protections.
The danger is if it fails under load, it can destroy anything it is connected to.
It will deliver advertised power only at room temperatures, not at higher temperatures found when installed in a case.
The wattage will be delivered on the 3 and 5v rails, not on the 12v rails where modern parts
like the CPU and Graphics cards need it. What power is delivered may fluctuate and cause instability

Do not buy one.

Unless your electricity costs are exorbitant, do not make decisions on efficiency like 80+ or gold rating.

I will never again build without a ssd for the "C" drive. It makes everything you do much quicker.

You can defer on the hard drive unless you need to store large files such as video's.

Adding another 8gb in the future is likely to work, but is not 100% certain. More like 95%
A very good advise from u sir I can't thanks you enough. Thanks again 🙏

renzoken84

Reputable
Mar 5, 2016

DO NOT buy a cheap psu.

Do not buy one.

Yes u are right. I was plan to buy 2x 8gb Ram but mayb use for one at the moment.
About the HDD not buyg yet I still have mine 500gb. So I think I stick with 500gb HDD at the moment.
I should find SSD right ?

Last edited:

renzoken84

Reputable
Mar 5, 2016
Sorry I'm not really knowing much about PSU as I'm still new in this gaming build.. as far as I know in my country only have this brand
Gigabyte
Corsair
Cooler master
Thermal take
EVGA
Salpido
AVF
ADATA
Aigo
BLACKWIDOW

Well this as far as I can see in the Lazada.
The type of the PSU make me dizzy to pick..
Can u suggest me which one good for my build how much watt needed n good PSU?

bignastyid

Titan
Gigabyte- Some good units but the good ones are expensive

Corsair- The Gray CXs are usually the lowest I'd recommend but if choices are lacking a gray VS(450w+ avoid green and orange). The TXm, RM series, HX series and AX(series) are good

Cooler master- Most of their units are junk the ones that aren't are usually overpriced (n)

Thermal take- Most of their units are junk the ones that aren't are usually overpriced (n)

EVGA- They had some good units, but most of their newer stuff is poor quality

Salpido- never heard of them, did a quick search and the units I saw looked like rebranded generic units (n)

AVF- never heard of them, did a quick search and the units I saw looked like rebranded generic units (n)

ADATA- Kinda new to the market but the couple units I have looked into seem to be ok

Aigo- never heard of them, findings from a quick search are not promising (n)

BLACKWIDOW - Never hard of them, quick search of them wasn't promising. (n)

renzoken84

Reputable
Mar 5, 2016
Gigabyte- Some good units but the good ones are expensive

Corsair- The Gray CXs are usually the lowest I'd recommend but if choices are lacking a gray VS(450w+ avoid green and orange). The TXm, RM series, HX series and AX(series) are good

Cooler master- Most of their units are junk the ones that aren't are usually overpriced (n)

Thermal take- Most of their units are junk the ones that aren't are usually overpriced (n)

EVGA- They had some good units, but most of their newer stuff is poor quality

Salpido- never heard of them, did a quick search and the units I saw looked like rebranded generic units (n)

AVF- never heard of them, did a quick search and the units I saw looked like rebranded generic units (n)

ADATA- Kinda new to the market but the couple units I have looked into seem to be ok

Aigo- never heard of them, findings from a quick search are not promising (n)

BLACKWIDOW - Never hard of them, quick search of them wasn't promising. (n)
I've seen gigabyte but is it okay if I take 500watt? Or any good
I know it's confusing, so I'll try to help you. Lazada which country? Also budget (in your currency)?
Malaysia

renzoken84

Reputable
Mar 5, 2016
OMG bro actually this is exactly item I choose to buy yesterday
We have big connection 😅😅

Anyways guys thank you very much for helping me up I appreciate all of u guys effort to help. May God bless u guys all. Thanks Tom hardware and thanks guys. love u 😝 👍

Last edited:
Reactions: refillable
OMG bro actually this is exactly item I choose to buy yesterday
We have big connection 😅😅

Anyways guys thank you very much for helping me up I appreciate all of u guys effort to help. May God bless u guys all. Thanks Tom hardware and thanks guys. love u 😝 👍
This is hard, you are lucky. Because you might end up buying something really bad. CM has crap MWEs as well.

PSU Manufactuers that guarantee no cock-ups are EVGA, Seasonic, BeQuiet. It's those three that I trust the most.
That's not true. EVGA has trash as well. Most unit that BeQuiet sells nowadays are fine to excellent, but some of the older ones are crap. Seasonic never made something that's entirely crap, but the S12II for normal prices is technically crap as you have better obvious choices. And speaking of "no cock-ups", everyone screws up sometimes, even Delta and Flextronics make defective PSUs. You just can't avoid it.