Which psu is better: zalman hp 600 or PC Power & Cooling 750quad?

mitmee_pie

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
Hi! I haven't posted on here in ages, so hope I'm doing this right.
I'm sorry if this is a really stupid question, but I need an answer as soon as possible.
I've got my computer running with a Zalman psu.
The specs are as follows:
Abit ab9quadGT motherboard; 4 GB Kingston 8500 ram; Samsung 500 GB hard drive; 2 Samsung 22X dvd burners; Kfa2 8600 video card; Creative x-fi Extreme Music sound card; Vistaview sabre2020 tv tuner card. I also have Intell 6700 quad core processer and Zalman 9700 cpu cooler. My system has an all blue theme, and I recently had an opportunity to get a PC Power and cooling 750 Qad psu in blue from Newegg for a really good price. Thing is, I read some negative reviews of that particular psu on newegg, so am apprehensive about swapping out my goold old Zalman psu. Any thadvice would be extremely appreciated; need to make a decision asap, especially if I end up returning the blue psu.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have, and I hope that everyone is having a great day!

Lord Gornak

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008
Most likely the negative reviews are from Newegg reviewers who didn't get their rebate in a timely manner, didn't read the PSU specifications/size and cannot get it to fit in their case, or blamed PCP&C for a bad unit when the delivery guy threw the package onto their porch from his truck.

Edit: Oh yeah, and get the PSU, it rocks.

mitmee_pie

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
Thanks for the responses. It sounds like I should take the chance and install the blue psu. I was just really scared upon reading a review or two mentioning flames, sparks, etc. I had a psu do that to me about 15 years back, and it was really scary; I like to leave my computer on 24-7 for the most part, and so far, the Zalman has been great. I just would hate to come home and have my whole system be dead or the house burned down from a defective psu, but if everyone here thinks the blue psu should be trustworthy, I'll have someone install it for me asap.
Thanks again, and if anyone else has any advice, I'm still open to hearing it; need to decide pretty much by tomorrow.
Missy

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

If you want, there is another model with better reviews.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703009

mitmee_pie

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
I'm not going to buy something else new; I have the blue on in my posession now, and have to return it by tomorrow if I want refund. If I don't install the blue one, I'm keeping my zalman. That's why I requested advice. Based on reviews, it seems as iff the zalman has more safety built into it, but I don't know.

mitmee_pie

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
Hello again, all. I just wanted to thank you again for your advice. I'm still torn; most of me says if it ain't broke, I shouldn't fix it, but your comments lead me to believe that the risk in installing the pc power and cooling psu would be minimal. If I could get it installed for free and didn't have a deadline in order to get the refund, I would definitely try it, but since it will cost me $100 to install it, and then, God forbid, if something goes wrong, another $100 to put the zalman back in. Let's just say that's not in my budget. Bottom line, I want long-term safety and reliability. So far, I've gotten that from the Zalman, and the other psu, pretty as it is, is an unknown entity. Anyway, thanks for the input; I have to make my decision in the morning as it will be the last day I can ship the blue psu back to newegg under the rma I already requested and still get my refund. So, I guess if I can get a little more reassurance that the blue psu will provide me with many years of safe, reliable service, I want to try it, but otherwise, back to Newegg it will probably go. I'm really sorry to waste everyone's time with this rambling, on the bright side, I'll be out of your hair one way or the other tomorrow once the decision is made.
Missy

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

How does that work? Is someone charging your $100 to install a psu? :sweat:

mitmee_pie

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
Hi! I'm visually impaired, and am not able to install hardware independently, so yes, I have to pay an expert to install or change hardware for me. If I had a friend that could test the blue psu and install it for free, I would have already tried it. The company I know is reputible in my aria charges $100 an hour, with a 1 hour minimum charge. So, even if I decide to keep the psu and ask them to test it first and then we discover it's doa, that's $100. My system temps run around 31C, so I don't think I've got to worry about an overheating issue. It's just frustrating; I almost decide to go ahead with the upgrade, and then start worrying about an explosion that will more likely than not neverhappen.
Thanks again, all. I'm going to try to get to sleep as I need to make my final choice in about 8 hours when I have a friend coming who could assist me in sending back the blue psu should I decide to chicken out.

Lord Gornak

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008
Could your friend who is going to assist you in sending it back if necessary attempt to install it for you? It's really not incredibly difficult to install a PSU, and there are a ton of guides on the net to assist with PSU installations.

mitmee_pie

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
Well, after much thought, and after much advice from folks from various forums, I've decided to try making use of the blue psu. It's getting installed in about an hour. I only hope I won't regret this choice.
To the person who asked why I need such a powerful psu, I don't, and I realize that. Its only appeal is that its blue, which is why the common sense part of me was arguing so strenuously to just leave my system as it is and return the blue psu for a refund. Still, every reputable source I can find assures me that the PC Power and Cooling psu is superior to the Zalman, so I'll just try to forget about the 2-3 horror stories I read about smoke, flames etc, and hope for the best.
Thanks again for your input; it is very much appreciated.
Missy