Question Which psu shall I buy?

Sep 4, 2019
I am building a pc using an : Intel i7 9700K cpu, a Gigabyte Rtx 2070 super, 16gb of ram and an ASUS prime z390 - A motherboard
My remaining budget allows me to buy a 750 watt psu but I was thinking about saving up a bit more so I could buy a 850watt one.... Are 850 watts overkill? Are 750 watts gonna be enough?

I wouldn't be concerned about the just wattage.
I think the quality of the supply is also very important.
I think 750 watts should be plenty.
Use the money that would buy an 850 and get a QUALITY 750 watt supply like a Seasonic Focus Series or a Corsair RMx Series.

Sep 4, 2019
I wouldn't be concerned about the just wattage.
I think the quality of the supply is also very important.
I think 750 watts should be plenty.
Use the money that would buy an 850 and get a QUALITY 750 watt supply like a Seasonic Focus Series or a Corsair RMx Series.
Is a 750w psu from the corsair TX-M series series considered as a quality psu??

Yeah, that's a decent quality PSU from Corsair. Regarding the Wattage being overkill depends on several factors as well. If you want some more extra headroom for future upgrades, then having a slightly higher Wattage PSU might help.

Though, Quality of the PSU matters, rather than Wattage number alone. Also, having a slightly higher Wattage PSU won't hurt, IMO

Your system will still use/pull only the maximum wattage required, regardless of whether you have 500 or 850 Watts PSU.

Wattage number is not always important. The quality and the make matters. The main concern is the "quality" of the power, the quality of the components used/CAPS, as well as the total AMP drawn on the +12V RAIL (output), the efficiency under load, "ripple suppression", among other factors.

The total wattage number of any PSU is not always really the most important deciding factor, primary concern is the 'quality' of power it produces, and the total capacity of the 12V source etc.

Also, the extra power won't go wasted, it just won't get fully utilized.

Let me explain------------> If suppose you have a 500W PSU installed on any RIG, then that does not mean that it will always draw the full wattage/500 W.

Nope....... The amount of power drawn is determined by the number of components on that rig/computer, and how much they actually require. The amount of power drawn will only be equal to what is required, and not more.

Suppose, if all the components of a rig require 400 W to run, then the "load" on the PSU will be 400 W, and hence the power draw of that particular PC will always be 400 W (depending on the efficiency obviously), regardless of whether a 500 Watt or a 1000 W PSU is installed.

PSU efficiency is a different matter though, as how well the PSU converts the AC power it receives from the outlet, to DC.

Any electricity which is not converted from AC to DC, is given off as heat. A PLATINUM certified PSU might help you save a little on your electricity bill, over a year, though this depends on many other factors as well. Because any high quality Tier 1 platinum certified PSU is rated for at least 90% efficiency at 20% load, 92% at 50% load, and 89% at 100% load (just a rough estimate).

PS: BTW, others can correct me if I'm wrong, or if I've have posted some misinformation though.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArgyK10