Which PSU shall i go for?

Jun 19, 2018
I built this pc 3 years ago, my components are as follows:
mobo: ga-990xa-ud3 r5
cpu: fx 8350
gpu: gigabyte r9 380 4GB

i got the psu built in the case, says it's around 500w-600w but i doubt it's of good quality (also it's kinda unbranded)

so my pc would turn off while gaming, during hot days, as my cpu temp. would reach 60 degrees easily and won't come back down, so i got a hyper 212 evo cpu cooler, it worked for a bit, it allowed me to operate for a little bit longer, but i had to underclock my cpu eventually and use 4 cores if i wanted to just use the pc during summer. couple of months later my PSU sounded like pop corn in a microwave and died right after

so now that i'm kinda on budget, and i'm limited by options available in my country, i need to choose between

CM masterwatt lite 600w 80+ (cheapest option)
CM masterwatt 650w semifanless 80+ bronze (somewhere in the middle)
SeaSonic S12II 620w 80+ bronze (boujee but still affordable)

and frankly, my knowledge is at the bare minimum, like i don't know what to look for when buying a psu, apart from the wattage, so which one shall i go for and why is it better that the others?
also lmk if you have any other suggestions within the same budget and i'll check if i can find them around here

Thanks

Solution
The MasterWatt 650 is better than the S12ii, easily.

Only a minor decrease in fan life. If the fan dies for any PSU, use the warranty if available. You can replace the fan: http://www.silentpcreview.com/Simple_PSU_Fan_Swap_Technique . If the PSU lacks over temperature protection (OTP) like the S12ii, the fan dying will likely lead other components in the PSU (and possibly your system)to die, so a simple fan replacement wouldn’t work. The MasterWatt 650 does have OTP so that shouldn’t be an issue.

R0GG

Distinguished
I would go for the SeaSonic S12II 620w 80+ bronze which has very good reviews (although the CM masterwatt 650w semifanless 80+ bronze has good revieews as well as a budget PSU) Seasonic is a reputable brand and even their low tier PSUs have respectable performance and reliability.
Your system power consumption is estimated around 500 watt with a minimum recommended 550 PSU wattage.
r4SUAum.jpg

jawlesspython04

Distinguished
May 25, 2014
I would go for the Seasonic S12II out of those options. But its an older unit and I would only recommend it if you were on a budget. I would recommend the higher quality unit. You should never cheap out on the PSU. Something like a Corsair TX650M, Seasonic G Series, EVGA SuperNOVA G2 will do well. They are a little pricey, with the TX650M being the cheapest at around $60. If you can spend that much, then sure do go for it. It will last a long time. If you cant spend that much however then yes, go for the S12II.

Jun 19, 2018

I have a question, what's the Vcore?
is it like the voltage to the cores, cause I had this CPUz thingy, and nothing read right before, like everything used to be underpowered

also what's the application u have that screenshot from?

Jun 19, 2018

prices are a bit different here, like the only corsair we have is the tx750m. and the corsair, G series or SuperNOVA cost around $250 here

R0GG

Distinguished
- The application is web based power supply estimator on Cooler master website >> http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/
- CPU Vcore, also known as CPU core voltage, is the amount of power supplied to a central processing unit, measured in volts.
- Hwmonitor would give you more information about your motherboard/CPU different voltages.

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017
Don't bother with that calculator. I don't get why people recommend it when someone put's the time to ask for a power supply selection why give a inaccurate, little-effort answer?
Those "PSU calculators" almost always overestimate, because they're based of TDP values for each part at worst possible scenario.

You'll be fine with a 450w power supply, as long as it's good quality.

The S12ii power supplies are not good. People here are saying they receive good reviews, but I doubt any one of them actually has the knowledge to read the review... The s12ii are group regulated which means loose voltages in a system like yours, and has crappy protections which are very important in a power supply.
The Cooler Master MasterWatt (650) is much better than the two other options. The only thing I dislike about it (as a budget power supply) is the semi-passive fan.
But as I said, 450w is enough for your system. This should open up some options or save you some money. What other PSUs are available in your budget? Or where exactly are you buying from?

Jun 19, 2018

i'm located in cairo, Egypt. I have a lot of shops around, not so much variety in products, but they vary in prices. if I decided to import anything from whatever online shop, i'll end up paying almost the double to the customs

Jun 19, 2018

also what's a semi-passive fan?

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017
Motherboard Master
- Seasonic M12II-620 Power Supply Review >> https://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/05/18/seasonic_m12...\
-

It uses the hy-510n protection IC: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/datasheets/HY510N_v1%20301.pdf
Which isn’t good at all. And no OTP implemented in the PSU either.
And group regulation means loose voltages in the Crossload tests.
This is almost same PSU inside, just more in-depth tests: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Antec/HCG-520/

also what's a semi-passive fan?
The fan doesn’t spin at all below a specified temperature. It can cause some issues like reduced fan life, very loud fan/high rpm when the fan does turn on, sometimes repetitive on/off. Shouldn’t be that big of a deal though.

You may be able to find a Bitfenix formula 450 or Seasonic Focus GOLD 450 for the same price, which are much better PSUs.

Jun 19, 2018

I looked both of them up, neither one of them is on the market, guess i'll have to go take a look around the shops and try to grab some more models to compare.

problem here is that they try to sell you anything, they'll vouch for whatever they want to sell. also just so we're clear, the masterwatt 650 comes before the seasonic, right?

one last question, you said "reduced fan life", but can I change just the fan?

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017
The MasterWatt 650 is better than the S12ii, easily.

Only a minor decrease in fan life. If the fan dies for any PSU, use the warranty if available. You can replace the fan: http://www.silentpcreview.com/Simple_PSU_Fan_Swap_Technique . If the PSU lacks over temperature protection (OTP) like the S12ii, the fan dying will likely lead other components in the PSU (and possibly your system)to die, so a simple fan replacement wouldn’t work. The MasterWatt 650 does have OTP so that shouldn’t be an issue.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS