Question Which PSU should I buy?

Mar 28, 2019
I am tight on budget and I live in Pakistan. I have these options in my budget. I know the options aren't really good but I have to choose one out of these. The build is a ryzen 2600 with rx 580

FSP Hyper K 600W
Thermaltake Smart SE 530W
Thermaltake Litepower 650W
Cooler Master - MasterWatt Lite 230V 600W
Antec VP600P
Thermaltake Smart RGB 500W 80 Plus
Corsair VS Series VS550

Hello there ! :)

What are your basic needs and requirements ? Is it just hardcore Gaming, or some other work as well ? But nonetheless, you shouldn't be skimping on the PSU, since this is the MOST important component of any RIG/PC. Which PSU MODEL are you currently using ?

Those PSU Models which you have listed, aren't that much good, IMO. Since they fall under the low TIER category of PSUs, if I'm not mistaken. Entry level more like. Always go for a high-quality PSU, if possible. I'm not saying those are bad power supplies, but please kindly have a look under these links. Some List of power supplies have been listed, categorized under different TIER.

I would personally recommend going for TIER 1-2 power supplies, if possible. Else, any decent high quality 600-650 Watts PSU should be sufficient for your RYZEN rig. Look under the TIER B BUDGET list of power supply units listed under this thread. Are those models available near your region ?::

Also, apart from this. I would just like to point this out, as a side note. Not directed towards you, but I've seen a a lot of peeps actually SKIMP on the PSU. And most importantly, many aren't even fully aware that WATTAGE number alone means nothing when it comes to any power supply.

The main concern is the "quality" of the power, the quality of the components used/CAPS, as well as the total AMP drawn on the +12V RAIL (output), the efficiency under load, "ripple suppression", among other factors.

The total wattage number of any PSU is not always really the most important deciding factor, primary concern is the 'quality' of power it produces, and the total capacity of the 12V source etc.

Though how the rails are laid out does not affect that much, i.e. single/multiple +12V rail PSUs. Multi-rail PSU can be mildly better, especially with high wattage unit, but it won't have any impact on your performance, however, it can provide an extra layer of safety in case you get a short circuit. A multi-rail power supply has OCP on all +12V rails, ensuring that your PC components stay alive, if a problem like a short circuit occurs.

A cheap generic/standard low-end PSU is prone to failure soon, than the units made by reputed brands like SEASONIC, Corsair, BE QUIET, EVGA Supernova, PC Power & Cooling, ANTEC (except earthwatts series), XFX, Super Flower, OCZ, just to name a few.

The OEM also matters a lot, instead of the actual PSU brand. I've seen PSUs labelled as 1K watts, but in actual real world scenarios, they can hardly pull 400 Watts from the wall, even under full load.

I've always given the topmost priority to PSU when building any RIG, and I mostly go for Tier 1 and/or Tier 2 units, because we know a TITANIUM/Platinum/Gold PSU is going to be much more efficient under 50% load, than a bronze/silver or a generic 80 plus certified PSU. But the exact Wattage requirement still varies from system to system, and if we plan to Overclock the GPU/CPU, then the PSU should have some headroom as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: lux1109
Mar 28, 2019
The options in that list are either not available in my country or are way out of my budget. What do you think about the Antec Neo Eco 650W Bronze 80+ certified? It costs a little more but I can get it

The options in that list are either not available in my country or are way out of my budget. What do you think about the Antec Neo Eco 650W Bronze 80+ certified? It costs a little more but I can get it
I think this is one of the better ones on your list.
650W is not needed you could easily get away with 550W for your system But, if this is the one I think it is then it should be a good purchase.
It is so hard to find real information about it, and it could be the seasonic based one... which if it is, I think you will do well....

I haven't scoured the internet for months looking for reviews, just a quick google. Please anyone who can correct me on this, please do.

The Antec Neo Eco 650W Bronze 80+ model should suffice for your gaming needs, IMO, if you don't have more budget to spare. You can opt for this model. But there might be more better Power supply units than this one, so kindly wait for others to post a reply.

I'm not that much familiar with all the power supply brands/units. There are a quite few models which I can recommend, but I'm not fully sure. Wait for other regular experienced forum members, or the MOD/Admin to post a reply.

They might have a much better solution for you, based on your current budget. I'm just new here. Cheers !

The Neo Eco 650w is a decent unit. Seasonic OEM, I would put it on the same level as the Seasonic S12II and M12II as far as quality. That would put them "tier C" on that list, however that's only because they use group regulation and do use some budget caps. No problem to use, to be on the safe side I would disable any sleep or hibernate modes just to prevent any crossloading problems (which group regulation is famous for).

Sorry I missed the country. Bit of a brain fart.

I looked and looked. Couldn't find much for Pakistan. Found one site that had a HX650 for 7,000 but was out of stock and that would have been a great choice. The NeoEco is decent but is 8,200 when I found it.

Of the ones on your list, the CoolerMaster was junk and the Corsair VS and Thermaltake Smart SE are the only two that get a more decent rating. The rest are meh to OK.