Sheev Palpatine

Prominent
Dec 20, 2019
Which PSU out the following two should I go for, the past seven years I have had a Corsair CX600 Green label but it is starting to die.

The two I am comparing are:

• Corsair CX650 Grey and Black Label
  • EVGA 600 W1
I want to trust Corsair more becasue of seven years of 24/7 use on one of the lowest budget Corsair has made. However I want your opinion. I am getting a new system next year which will be big but for a quick fix I want a cheap but decent PSU for 600W+

Last edited:
Solution
I agree with the above. The CX650 is a much better PSU by a long shot. It also has a 5 year warranty unlike the 3 years on your old CX.

Your setup is pretty good, but age has made it lean towards entry level.

You still have an upgrade path to a 3770k and then could throw in a 5700xt or a more reasonable option like a 1660 super/1650 super.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Corsair CX by a long shot. The W1 is 80+ and the only Evga psu in that lineup that's worse is the N1, which isn't even rated. And that's just on the efficiency scale. Build quality and outputs quality of the W1 is way behind the new CX.

The W1 should be considered a psu shaped object, common usage being a doorstop or paperweight (not that good at those either, it's too light).

It's not even a choice to be made. There's a clear and indisputable winner.

Reactions: Sheev Palpatine

Sheev Palpatine

Prominent
Dec 20, 2019
Corsair CX by a long shot. The W1 is 80+ and the only Evga psu in that lineup that's worse is the N1, which isn't even rated. And that's just on the efficiency scale. Build quality and outputs quality of the W1 is way behind the new CX.

The W1 should be considered a psu shaped object, common usage being a doorstop or paperweight (not that good at those either, it's too light).

It's not even a choice to be made. There's a clear and indisputable winner.
I have been reading threads and people recommend both but some say CX has better Caps then the EVGA. Just want to make sure. This one is dieing, just hope it hasn't fried my GPU, cus it's not coming on screen, all nine fans come on including the GPU's but no signal to monitor.

Checkout my other thread for this >> https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/what-is-dying-on-my-system.3556496/

But yeah just hope its the PSU as was hoping to have this rig as second or for work or something.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's as old as mine, I'm still running a i7-3770k and gtx970. Works fine for what I need it for (mostly). The only issue with yours will be restrictions placed by newer games on ipc and quad cores, and that affects every i5 upto the 7th gen cpus.

My next step will be amd mITX, (unless Intel gets off its (***) and does something about price per performance) and say goodbye to my massive, floor bound, fractal design R5, it's almost as big as your dreamed of full towers.

Sheev Palpatine

Prominent
Dec 20, 2019
It's as old as mine, I'm still running a i7-3770k and gtx970. Works fine for what I need it for (mostly). The only issue with yours will be restrictions placed by newer games on ipc and quad cores, and that affects every i5 upto the 7th gen cpus.

My next step will be amd mITX, (unless Intel gets off its (***) and does something about price per performance) and say goodbye to my massive, floor bound, fractal design R5, it's almost as big as your dreamed of full towers.
Yeah I know what you mean, I am not a huge gamer as I used to be but still love to have that power, why I want a new system. I play the odd games, but am still running an old system. I am that kind of person who loves big machines. Love the 900D and the Cosmos II. I am still running:

Intel® Core™ i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz
Motherboard: Model MSI B75MA-P45 (MS-7798) Socket: 1155 LGA
24GB RAM
MSI Radeon R9 270X 2048MB GDDR5

In a 330R with nine fans, controller and BLU-RAY drive. All cost me around 1.2K over the whole seven years.

CX650 is the better of the two.
But their Vengeance 650M may be available for the same price and carries a 80+ Silver rating and checks off a few more boxes

Which PSU out the following two should I go for, the past seven years I have had a Corsair CX600 Green label but it is starting to die.

The two I am comparing are:

• Corsair CX650 Grey and Black Label
  • EVGA 600 W1
I want to trust Corsair more becasue of seven years of 24/7 use on one of the lowest budget Corsair has made. However I want your opinion. I am getting a new system next year which will be big but for a quick fix I want a cheap but decent PSU for 600W+

I agree with the above. The CX650 is a much better PSU by a long shot. It also has a 5 year warranty unlike the 3 years on your old CX.

You still have an upgrade path to a 3770k and then could throw in a 5700xt or a more reasonable option like a 1660 super/1650 super.

Reactions: Sheev Palpatine
Solution

Sheev Palpatine

Prominent
Dec 20, 2019

Thanks for the advice. (y)