[SOLVED] Which PSU should I buy?

Danymq

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Hello, I want to know which PSU is the way to go
EVGA 600W 80+ White $72
EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze $76

My system is a Ryzen 3600 + GTX 1650S
I want longevity and a cool PSU and enough power in case I want to go for a RTX card, these are local prices for El Salvador, I know in the US are a lot cheaper.

Last edited:
Solution
I know that brands don't mean anything, but generally getting a psu from a more well known brand means that there is a good reputation. It doesn't say that other brands are good or bad, but generally, i'd stick with the more well known and reviewed brands. And then again, Gold efficiency rating generally means that the psu is slightly more reliable, although I wouldn't put my money on it

80+ Gold is ONLY a measure of a power supply's efficiency. It is not a measure of quality.

While higher-end power supplies tend to have higher efficiency than lower-end power supplies, it is incorrect to assume a PSU is high-quality or reliable purely based on an efficiency rating. Also on the reverse, while usually true, just because a power...
A bit better then the 80+ white one but neither are very good.
For the 1660 I would choose the BR500.

I would not pick either one for an expensive RTX card.

Buying an expensive GPU with a cheap PSU is like buying a Ferrari on to put the cheapest possible tiers on it.

Danymq

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
A bit better then the 80+ white one but neither are very good.
For the 1660 I would choose the BR500.

I would not pick either one for an expensive RTX card.

Buying an expensive GPU with a cheap PSU is like buying a Ferrari on to put the cheapest possible tiers on it.

Okay thank you, I will go for the BR500 then, and yes I know, but here PSU are so expensive, and shipping isn't even included all I want is system stability.

Because my current PSU takes too long to boot, around 3 seconds in black screen and like 7 seconds in the splash screen (around 10 seconds) and struggles to reboot and one day I tried a generic PSU just to diagnose and for my surprise, it booted within 2-3 seconds.

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
Okay thank you, I will go for the BR500 then, and yes I know, but here PSU are so expensive, and shipping isn't even included all I want is system stability.

Because my current PSU takes too long to boot, around 3 seconds in black screen and like 7 seconds in the splash screen (around 10 seconds) and struggles to reboot and one day I tried a generic PSU just to diagnose and for my surprise, it booted within 2-3 seconds.
I'm not sure if you have many options in Brazil, but there are some better choices such as:

The Thermaltake 500w RGB. It's a much better efficiency rating, and for around the same price.
https://www.newegg.com/thermaltake-...00w psu&cm_re=500w_psu-_-17-153-392-_-Product

you could probably find more on newegg, but idk if its supported in your country

Danymq

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
I'm not sure if you have many options in Brazil, but there are some better choices such as:

The Thermaltake 500w RGB. It's a much better efficiency rating, and for around the same price.
https://www.newegg.com/thermaltake-toughpower-gx1-rgb-500w-ps-tpd-0500nhfaga-1/p/N82E16817153392?Description=500w psu&cm_re=500w_psu--17-153-392--Product

you could probably find more on newegg, but idk if its supported in your country
Thanks, in the case of my country (El Salvador) the options are really limited, when I purchase from newegg/ebay/amazon I do it through a locker and they charge me around 60USD depending on the weight, I use this method because it's faster and almost as expensive as any other shipping method.

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020

Ok so I looked through these websites and I have a couple recommendations:

For the KPC Hardware: https://kpchardware.com/index.php?id_product=1558&controller=product
If you can up your budget a little bit, this comes from a very reputable brand, and has an excellent efficiency rating and is very reliable

For Digital Solutions: The only one I found was the EVGA 80+ White, which is a bit sketchy and I wouldn't buy.

For KayFa Store: DO NOT BUY any power supplies from them! These are very unreliable and will probably mess up your hardware at some point.

Conclusion: Honestly, the EVGA Bronze one would be fine, or the KPC Hardware one would be my first choice.

Reactions: Danymq
Aug 3, 2020
For the KPC Hardware: https://kpchardware.com/index.php?id_product=1558&controller=product
If you can up your budget a little bit, this comes from a very reputable brand, and has an excellent efficiency rating and is very reliable
Brand means absolutely nothing when it comes to power supplies. Every brand sells to a range of markets, thus will all have some low quality and some high quality power supplies.
Efficency (Gold vs bronze) will not save OP any non-negligible amount of money. Especially considering the low power draw of the system.
There isn't much extensive testing on these Silverstone Essential Gold units. But what we can see from the internals (eg. sleeve bearing fan, capxon and jun fu caps) I wouldn't call this unit very reliable...

The Corsair CXM (or CX) and Riotoro Onyx are good and should be available somewhere in El Salvador.

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
Brand means absolutely nothing when it comes to power supplies. Every brand sells to a range of markets, thus will all have some low quality and some high quality power supplies.
Efficency (Gold vs bronze) will not save OP any non-negligible amount of money. Especially considering the low power draw of the system.
There isn't much extensive testing on these Silverstone Essential Gold units. But what we can see from the internals (eg. sleeve bearing fan, capxon and jun fu caps) I wouldn't call this unit very reliable...

The Corsair CXM (or CX) and Riotoro Onyx are good and should be available somewhere in El Salvador.

I know that brands don't mean anything, but generally getting a psu from a more well known brand means that there is a good reputation. It doesn't say that other brands are good or bad, but generally, i'd stick with the more well known and reviewed brands. And then again, Gold efficiency rating generally means that the psu is slightly more reliable, although I wouldn't put my money on it

80+ Gold is ONLY a measure of a power supply's efficiency. It is not a measure of quality.

While higher-end power supplies tend to have higher efficiency than lower-end power supplies, it is incorrect to assume a PSU is high-quality or reliable purely based on an efficiency rating. Also on the reverse, while usually true, just because a power supply does not have a high-efficiency rating does not ALWAYS mean the power supply is poor quality.

80+ ≠ Quality

Also just because a power supply is from a recognizable brand does not always mean the PSU is of strong quality or reliable.

Here is an example of a "Brand Name" power supply that also has 80+ certification, but it truly horrible and proves 80+ and brand name doesn't mean quality.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2018/10/08/cooler-master-masterwatt-lite-600w-230v-power-supply/2/
Here is another "brand name" unit with poor performance.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2015/07/13/evga-400-n1-power-supply/
Wasn't good 5 years ago, its even worse by 2020 standards.

Solution

Danymq

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Thank you all for the answers, I tried contacting AEON for around like 6 days in a row, so no response, in the end I purchased a Gigabyte PB500W 80+ Bronze from Kayfa at 75$+10$ shipping, so far I'm happy it's really quiet and extremely cool compared to my old PSU.