[SOLVED] Which PSU should i get that will work with a GTX980 (Details below)

Jonbar992

Honorable
Oct 17, 2014
Hey guys, So my friend is letting me use his old GTX 980 Graphics card which needs two 6 pin connectors to power it and i wasnt sure which PSU i should get that would have that. My current PSU doesnt have enough pins (cuz my current graphics card has 4+2pin). Any 500 watt suggestions that would have the right connectors? Also below is a list of what i have now and yes its an old PC so maybe this graphics card wont even work with my current parts? Thanks for the help!
MB MSI|A78M-E35 A78 MATX R
VGA MSI|R7 260X 2GD5 OC R
PSU CORSAIR|
430W CX430 R
CPU AMD|ATH X4 760K 3.8G FM2 R
Solid State Drive
12GB of RAM

Solution
Check out the first link in my sig. It's not JUST about wattage, and it's not about Bronze/Gold/Platinum certification.

It's all about known quality of a particular brand and model of the PSU.

And most Cooler Masters are . . not . . . desirable.
Jun 1, 2020
GTX 980 uses around 250W so you need a minimum of a 500W PSU. However; this is only if you plan on using the stock voltage of that card, if you want to overclock it make sure you wont run out of power and get a 600W - 700W with at least 80 Gold Certification.
Dont go with just any random brand. A nice Cooler Master, Thermaltake or Seasonic will do the job.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Check out the first link in my sig. It's not JUST about wattage, and it's not about Bronze/Gold/Platinum certification.

Solution

Jonbar992

Honorable
Oct 17, 2014

hm nice choices but would most 500 W + have enough pins for the graphics card seeing it needs 12 totally to power it (6/6)

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The good ones WILL have at least two 6+2 connectors. Crappy ones may boast 500 or 600 watts, and not have enough connectors. That's usually a pretty good indication that they shouldn't be trusted to reliably/safely deliver the amount of power they claim to provide.

Site selling them really SHOULD list the number of PCIe connectors.