Which PSU should I get?

Crestfallen_12

Commendable
Jan 30, 2017
So I was in doubt about 2 PSUs and now I have no idea which one to buy , My Build will be Ryzen 5 1600, 8GB DDR4 and RX 470 4 GB.

Solution
Of those you listed, here is how I would order them in terms of best quality/performance to worst (If there's a '=' it means they are very similar performance/quality or the same):

RM550X = RM650X > Thermaltake Toughpower Grand = EVGA GQ > Corsair CS650M = Corsair CS850M.

Honestly those PSU wattage calculators are misleading. Based on professional reviews, 550w will be more than enough for your system.

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017
The Hale 82V2 Isn't good.

Which exact CX750M (more specifically, green/black label or grey label) and which exact EVGA 750W? If you aren't sure you can link to the retailers.

I doubt you computer really need 700w. Most computers use under 450w at load. What are your full system specifications/hardware?

Crestfallen_12

Commendable
Jan 30, 2017

Yeah I think it's better to get one around 600
I made a test on http://www.coolermaster.com/ and it recommended me a 650W PSU.
I'll have a ryzen 5 1600, 8 gb DDR4, and a rx 470(that I already have)
I've found this one now that is a bit cheaper
NI0JZa1.jpg

I'm not sure if it's worth paying for a modular either, since I'm buying bronze PSUs, they sure look way better though.

Crestfallen_12

Commendable
Jan 30, 2017
So guys I've looked at some plus gold ones that are available where I live, I've found those:
>Corsair 550W ATX RM550X

>Corsair 650W ATX RM650x

>Corsair 650W CS650M 80

>Corsair 850W CS850M 80

>Thermaltake 750W ToughPower Grand(I wonder if I can turn off the lights though)

>EVGA 650W GQ gold power

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017
Of those you listed, here is how I would order them in terms of best quality/performance to worst (If there's a '=' it means they are very similar performance/quality or the same):

RM550X = RM650X > Thermaltake Toughpower Grand = EVGA GQ > Corsair CS650M = Corsair CS850M.

Honestly those PSU wattage calculators are misleading. Based on professional reviews, 550w will be more than enough for your system.

Solution

I still need a budget in local currency for your entire rig, a 1600 and RX 470 isn't well balanced.

Froberg

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
80plus gold is worth it
Modular is worth it
Corsairs are awesome.
650 watts is fine - certainly better than being close to the max load on any PSU. There's an efficiency drop off the closer you get to max capacity.

You have to buy a quality PSU - as unstable power supplies is the cause of sooooo many faulty computers.

Crestfallen_12

Commendable
Jan 30, 2017

The thing is that I would be paying almost what I payed on my GPU which sounds kinda crazy, but I think it's worth it in the long run.

What do you mean it isn't balanced?

Froberg

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008

Replace it ASAP.

Crestfallen_12

Commendable
Jan 30, 2017

I'm wondering if I should buy an SSD or HDD, for the price of an 120gb SSD, i could get a 500gb HDD,
I'm worried about the noise, I want to make a PC as quiet as possible.

Lehan123456789

Respectable
Sep 10, 2016

I depends on how many games you need to have on your harddrive, I would recommend the HDD cause 120gb fills up really fast!

Froberg

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008

I'll be honest, you really need both. 120GB SSD is not enough for more than Windows, a few apps and a game or two in most cases. But if you can only afford one or the other, then the SSD is the obvious choice - in spite of these shortcomings.
You really should add a data drive when you can, though.

An SSD in this price range isn't necessary, that money is better spent elsewhere.
Never get an SSD unless you can afford at least 240GB, 120GB is way too small, you'll see a thread every day multiple times with people who bought 120GB SSDs and are struggling for space.

Froberg

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008

Let's agree to disagree. SSD is a massive performance boost to a system that doesn't have one.
My own workstation has a 120gig and it's fine, still, haven't felt a need to upgrade. I have around 40 gigs left and a 1TB drive for storage.
I have around 1000 computers in my network with a 128 gig drive, all fine.

You need to pay attention to what you place on it, but it's completely workable and a massive improvement if you can't afford a larger drive.

You always need to leave some space empty, at least 10-15% in order to keep performance unaffected.
After OS and software installation of which most people have quite a bit after office, benchmarking tools, anti-virus etc. 120GB (100GB usable) is not going to be enough.
1000 PCs in a network running off a single 128GB drive?
Not possible, I think you may have worded that incorrectly, also I assume you mean 1000 VMs, not physical terminals since that's an impossibility too.
You'd be running enterprise level storage at that stage, and would be very unlikely to be using purely SSD drives since you'd need to be a multi-million dollar company to afford that expense obviously. :p
This is in regards to a personal rig anyway, the needs are different.

Froberg

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
No, I mean I have around 1k computers running in my network with that size drive installed, in a corporate deployment scenario, and none of them are giving us space issues. Running a mix of windows 7 and windows 10.
I.e. around 1k individual computers each fitted with a 128gig SSD.
All our new purchases have been upgraded to 256 gig drives, which is much more than is required.

We do have enterprise level storage too, but that hardly affects our physical machines other than their network drives. :p

Froberg

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
Oh, and as for slow-down. Yes it can be an issue. But if he's going from mechanical to SSD even if he fills it to 90% capacity it'll still be sooooo much faster than what he's used to it's not even comparable.
Remember, I said he needed a data drive and an SSD. I'd rather he get a small SSD and a smaller mechanical drive for data storage, than get a large mechanical drive for both purposes. SSD is the single most impressive performance boost you can give to any machine, in my opinion.

Again, as I mentioned, it's great that this worked for you, but given most of your stuff would be server side and run off larger storage ultimately to put it simply, it just isn't a viable comparison to the current situation given the different stuff that needs to be stored locally in addition to just OS.
120GB is a no no for personal PCs, way too many people on here complaining that they don't have enough space after being recommended a 120GB SSD.
It's a daily thing.