Which PSU Should I Get?

ReveurGAM

Prominent
Sep 28, 2022
I suspect I'll need a 1,000 W PSU.
Here's my setup:
Corsair iCUE 5000x case (~175mm clearance from CPU)
Intel i7-12700k CPU (Still looking for a cooler.)
ASUS TUF Gaming H670-Pro w/wifi D4
Patriot Viper Steel 2x32GB UDIMMs
T-Create Classic 1 TB SSD
XFX SWFT 319 RX 6800 XT 16 GB

I don't want to run at minimum, so is 1,000 W enough?? Which PSUs would be good options?

Reactions: sizzling
A quick Google says that isn't a high powered graphics card. Maybe 200 to 250 watts?

If that is true, I'd certainly think 750 watt quality PSU would be more than enough.

But....."future proof" stuff and "headroom" stuff and "upgrade" stuff and "aging" stuff and "spikes" stuff and "peace of mind" stuff........... so yeah 1000 watts?

ReveurGAM

Prominent
Sep 28, 2022
A quick Google says that isn't a high powered graphics card. Maybe 200 to 250 watts?

If that is true, I'd certainly think 750 watt quality PSU would be more than enough.
750W is the bare minimum for GC, and 850 is recommended. Add the power needs of the other components and it seems that 850 isn't strong enough.

ReveurGAM

Prominent
Sep 28, 2022
I used several different PSU calculators, which gave me between 650-850W. They seem to be looking at the basic AMD GC, though, and some aren't as comprehensive. Given that XFX has a minimum of 750W and recommends 850W, plus everything else in my setup, and the possibility that I'll likely eventually add more RAM and SSDs, if nothing else, what do you say?

Also, if you don't feel like recommending specific PSUs, how about brands to try and brands to avoid? ThermalTake, Cooler Master, Corsair, Seasonic, be quiet!,or...?

I would like to get one with a high level of performance (is that the right word?), like with 80 Plus Platinum or Titanium rating.

ReveurGAM

Prominent
Sep 28, 2022
I was just checking the Cybenetics Labs certifications for efficiency and noise. Looks like Corsair has the most (103), see the list here. For 115v, it has no diamond, 8 titanium, 21 platinum, and 51 gold.

80 Plus certs are shown here. FSP Technology Inc. has, by far, the most, with 512 certs, of which 3 are titanium, 54 are platinum, and 128 are gold 115V. That's just efficiency.

I'm not sure how these two certs compare. I've seen it suggested that the CL certs are more rigorous. The data sheets suggest that CL scores are combined for certs and 80+ are separate.

I'd definitely prefer a PSU with high certification.

I was just checking the Cybenetics Labs certifications for efficiency and noise. Looks like Corsair has the most (103), see the list here. For 115v, it has no diamond, 8 titanium, 21 platinum, and 51 gold.

80 Plus certs are shown here. FSP Technology Inc. has, by far, the most, with 512 certs, of which 3 are titanium, 54 are platinum, and 128 are gold 115V. That's just efficiency.

I'm not sure how these two certs compare. I've seen it suggested that the CL certs are more rigorous. The data sheets suggest that CL scores are combined for certs and 80+ are separate.

I'd definitely prefer a PSU with high certification.
Hey there,

Although an 850w is recommended, you also need to factor in transient power spikes. For the 6800, you should be looking st a Corsair RMX 1000w which is known to handle transient spikes partciularly well.

ReveurGAM

Prominent
Sep 28, 2022
Hey there,

Although an 850w is recommended, you also need to factor in transient power spikes. For the 6800, you should be looking st a Corsair RMX 1000w which is known to handle transient spikes partciularly well.

Thanks! I was kinda wondering if 1000W would be what I really need. What else do you recommend? It doesn't have to be Corsair.

ReveurGAM

Prominent
Sep 28, 2022
LOL, it's RM1000x, that's why I couldn't find it! :)

Why that and not one of the HX1000 or HX1000i? Or the RM1000e?

The HXs offer control and monitoring via the iCUE software. RM doesn't. That seems to be valuable...Is it?

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
LOL, it's RM1000x, that's why I couldn't find it! :)

Why that and not one of the HX1000 or HX1000i? Or the RM1000e?

The HXs offer control and monitoring via the iCUE software. RM doesn't. That seems to be valuable...Is it?

It's useful, but not necessary. The RMx is top-notch; just trying to not spend too much of your money. After all, you earned it, not me!

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

ReveurGAM

Prominent
Sep 28, 2022
It's useful, but not necessary. The RMx is top-notch; just trying to not spend too much of your money. After all, you earned it, not me!
As I mentioned (and just learned earlier via their CSC), the RMx PSUs can't be monitored and controlled by the iCUE software; the HXi can. Another IT friend of mine said that software monitoring can prevent a LOT of headaches when trying to figure out what went wrong, and even noticing things before humans can/do.

Last edited:
The reason RMx are so good right now, is that it's capacitors are top notch. When it comes to these transients power spikes, it's all about the quality of the caps.

For example Seasonic Focus/Prime are really good PSU's (in general terms) but suffer with transients, which often trip the PSU's protections. As I understand it, the capacitors are of lesser quality than other PSU's.

Reactions: ReveurGAM

ReveurGAM

Prominent
Sep 28, 2022
The reason RMx are so good right now, is that it's capacitors are top notch. When it comes to these transients power spikes, it's all about the quality of the caps.

For example Seasonic Focus/Prime are really good PSU's (in general terms) but suffer with transients, which often trip the PSU's protections. As I understand it, the capacitors are of lesser quality than other PSU's.
Thanks for the info! The Hx1000(i) have the same caps from Japan, but the RM1000e just says "Industrial-grade" for them - nothing about Japanese or 105%.

ReveurGAM

Prominent
Sep 28, 2022
I talked to ASUS support and, of course, they recommended their own products. However, I had the tier 2 guy send a message to the engineers to see if I can get recommendations.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Asus Thor is Seasonic Focus+, same thing except with Asus branding and a couple odd changes.

Seasonic's issue was the OCP was too tight. They specc'd out their caps and controllers where OCP was tripping when barely over rated specs, which normally would be a good thing, but with nvidia 30 series cards hitting 10ms spikes of 200w or a little more, that speed to trip was a little much.

The RMx series uses a doubled up circuitry, has 2x trip points on the OCP. One for high draw quick spikes, set very high, and one for lower power, long draws, set lower..

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

ReveurGAM

Prominent
Sep 28, 2022
Asus Thor is Seasonic Focus+, same thing except with Asus branding and a couple odd changes.

Seasonic's issue was the OCP was too tight. They specc'd out their caps and controllers where OCP was tripping when barely over rated specs, which normally would be a good thing, but with nvidia 30 series cards hitting 10ms spikes of 200w or a little more, that speed to trip was a little much.

The RMx series uses a doubled up circuitry, has 2x trip points on the OCP. One for high draw quick spikes, set very high, and one for lower power, long draws, set lower..

Interesting. What about the HX1000i?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yep. Same deal except Platinum rated, and therefore more expensive. The HX line has been a workhorse psu for Corsair for years. Just in an odd position with as strong as the RMx has been in performance and decently priced, the HX basically got stuck between the RMx and AXi. The cost savings in efficiency didn't rate the price jump, unless you had a really overblown pc, in which case why bother with a Platinum when the Titanium AXi wasn't that much more and was essentially the penultimate psu.

ReveurGAM

Prominent
Sep 28, 2022
Yep. Same deal except Platinum rated, and therefore more expensive. The HX line has been a workhorse psu for Corsair for years. Just in an odd position with as strong as the RMx has been in performance and decently priced, the HX basically got stuck between the RMx and AXi. The cost savings in efficiency didn't rate the price jump, unless you had a really overblown pc, in which case why bother with a Platinum when the Titanium AXi wasn't that much more and was essentially the penultimate psu.
Ah, I see now.

Well, with the AXs costing hundreds more than the HX, I'm not liable to jump for them.

ReveurGAM

Prominent
Sep 28, 2022
Any thoughts on this EVGA PSU? It seems like it MIGHT be better than the Corsair RM1000x...? Also, how does it compare to the other styles (G3, G5 & GT)?

EVGA has an instant rebate bonanza going on, so I am also curious about these:
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 GT, 220-GT-1000-X1

EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+, 120-GP-1000-X1

EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5, 220-G5-1000-X1

EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2, 220-P2-1200-X1

EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P3, 220-P3-1200-X1

I'm kinda iffy about the two (GT & G+) with Molex to FDD, since I don't use FDDs anymore.

Or is EVGA not good for PSUs?

Last edited:
It seems like it MIGHT be better than the Corsair RM1000x...?
Supernova G6 is not better than RMx.
G3, G5 & GT
On par with G3, slightly better than GT and a lot better than G5
Buget Gold unit of the Supernova series. Better than G+, GQ and GA
PSU with outdated ACRF platform. Not worth to consider.
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5, 220-G5-1000-X1
Same comment as G+
EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2, 220-P2-1200-X1
Good unit
EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P3, 220-P3-1200-X1
HEC platform is all we know. No review available so this psu a big question mark.
Or is EVGA not good for PSUs?
Like any other brands EVGA has good PSUs but also have some crap.